• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anybody install overhead console?

tarafied1

I recently acquired an overhead console (I think from a 68 coupe). I know I need some brackets, but was wondering if anybody here has installed one. I hate to take out the headliner but I suspect it's the only way.
Thanks

Craig,

You can install the forward and rear brackets that mount the overhead console without removing the headliner, but of course it's a lot more difficult as you'll have to work through a hole/slit in the headliner.

Mock up the brackets onto the console to determine their mounting position on the car.... cut as small a slit as necessary in an area that will be concealed by the installed console...... slide the bracket through the slit/cut and into position on the roof front/rear pillar...... screw holes to install the brackets may already be present, but you'll probably have to carefully drill the holes.... once the brackets are installed, attach the overhead to the brackets and the previously cut slit(s) (forward and rear) will be concealed by the width of the console.

It's not a fun job as you're working in a confined space and over your head.... kind of like working under the dash for long periods of time, but it's definitely do-able.

Good Luck!

ive been trying to get the dome lenses off my overhead console to be replaced but can't figure it out is there a trick to removingthem

Back