• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anybody playing with old VW's?

AzPete

Dealing with a '73 Super Beetle engine. Push rod tubes leak like normal. Wondering if anyone has experience with the spring loaded "adjustable" tubes. Never used them when I had the VW's so I am not familiar with the quality. I have read a bunch on them but it seems 50-50 as to if they are good or not. Working on a friends VW.

Have not had a VW since 1981 but have had a couple of early Porsche 911s. The "adjustable" tubes do save time and money but are 50-50 at best.You may get lucky but figure on replacing them down the road.
I guess it all depends on what your plans are with this car and how long you plan on keeping it.If you do, try and use the steel collapsible tubes, not the aluminum.

mike

Yep, I have not owned one since '78 and that was a '64.

Thanks. Not my car at all but the owners want to keep it in the family for a long time. It has a recently rebuilt engine and the tubes leak bad. Not sure how much time has passed since rebuild but it has been a while, just no miles put on it to speak of. I suggested adjustable if they checked out as good to avoid taking the engine apart. At this point, I am not sure I want to get into the adjustable for my own future redo complaints. I will not take the engine apart (to many possible "problems" when doing it for friends) so I think I will suggest they consult a shop and go with the stock ones.

Thanks.

Back