• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone have a VIN checker like carfax/autochek active?

Lemondrop

I bought a transmission from a wrecked car at the junkyard. Florida shows it with a cert of destruction but does not list the miles. Most cars at the yard have a window stick that lists the miles but this car was unknown. I tried to light up the car to get the mileage off the digital display (2003 Mustang) but for some reason the car's electrical would not come on. I brought a small 12v battery with me for moving power seats to get to the bolts. Anyway, I found a receipt from late 2005 that listed the car having 10K miles with a "ladies day special" oil change. I'm assuming the person (if the original owner kept it) drove around 5K miles a year so I'm perhaps lucky and got a T5 with 60K or so miles for $175 from the yard :)

1FAFP40493F371956 is the VIN. I don't need a car report, just looking for the last time it got a mile reading as the state of FL lists it as 999,999 (NO ACTUAL MILEAGE)

Wow! that has to be the worst carfax I have ever seen. Poor Mustang should have been taken out back and shot a long time ago.

I'm certain the 130,000 mile reading is wrong as I think the odds of it being a total loss with exactly 130K is slim to none. My guess would be 125-130K miles as it seems it's final year of life was spent getting repaired every could months so I'd find it hard to really jack the mileage up much.

I'm going to guess they asked the owner/crasher how many miles and they said "I don't remember, it was around 130K" Something was screwed up because as I said I could not get anything to turn on so something busted in the electrical on the car. If the insurance estimated it at 130K that would lower their pay out slightly than 127K miles. Not as good as I was hoping but everything in the yard had the same or more miles so I'm OK.

Going to swap the tail housing over to a regular T5 and swap the speedo drive gear over also. The 99 to 04s are chopper wheel speedo rather than the typical gear driven speedo. The tranny is supposed to be rated to 335 ft lbs, compared to the 94/95GT's having a 300 ft. lb rating. The trann my 95 has right now is a 94-98 V6, which is rated at 265 (same as older fox body T5's). The original tranny in my 95 was replaced with a V6 at some point. I replaced the V6 with another V6 I got for $80 so the car would be mobile till I found a better transmission. Thanks for the help!

Back