• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AOD neutral safety wiring

I know this is the right board to talk about shorts, but............

I usually keep them in my wife's purse for safe keeping.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

But seriously folks, if the OEM shifter gear selections still match up with the AOD (or at least the critical, P, R, and N) couldnt you retain the NSS and reverse light switch in the OEM shifter assembly?

But they don't....do they? The length and throw of the C4 tranny lever arm is different than that of the AOD.

Re: Re: AOD neutral safety wiring

"AzPete" said:
The switch is in the tranny, not the shifter.....right?
yes it on the top of the transmission .

I dont think my FMX had any switch. The switch and harness is attached to the shifter. So maybe there isnt any conversion needed in a case like the FMX?

The c4 had the switch on the shifter also. The AOD has the switch coming out of the top of the transmission. I am pretty sure you have to do some sort of conversion with either trans. I searched for a harness that plugged directly into the AOD and the original body harness, but I couldn't find one. I know that they did make one but I have not been able to locate one so I decided to do a splice between the 2 harnesses.

Confirmed. No cutting required when going from an FMX to AOD. However you do need to make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly so the detents align with AOD. Same issue exists with FMX but the detent plate on the shifter was designed to match with selector lever on transmission.

Back