• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

aod trans help

jim's73

Hi all,new member just found you today trying to do some trany research.I am in need of some recomendations for an oad trans for my 1973 mach 1.The engine is a rebuilt 351cleveland dino @484 max hp @ 6,000 rpm and 464 max torque@ 5,200 rpm.The engine now has 10:1 pistons,edlebrock2750performer intake, reworked original 2v heads w/lite porting,quick fuel hr 650 carb w/mechanical secondaries,roller cam (intake lift=.567 exhaust lift=.552 intake duration@.050=.235 exhaust duration@.050=.249 lobe seperation=107 degrees,hope I didn't leave anything out.I will use the car mostly for cruising around town with a couple of trips to the track a year and some highway driving.Any help would be great.

Last edited:
welcome. Sounds like a pretty stout engine build. As far as an AOD that will bolt to the engine you will need to convert the 164 tooth flexplate which is the bigger diameter on the Cleveland to a 157 tooth. Bell housing bolt pattern is the same but the starter location is the key. I believe Cleveland's have the 164 and the AOD and AODE is designed for a 157 tooth. Also, the original starter will not fit once you switch the flexplate but a late model gear reduction starter will fit.
As far as building an AOD that will hold up to your engine, that's a whole separate issue!
If you are into DYI builds, I have read that taking the geartrain from a 4R70W and putting them in an AOD is a good way to go. The AODE and 4R70W both need a computer but the AOD just needs a TV cable.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1407-how-to-build-the-perfect-aod-aodetail/

Last edited:
Hi all,new member just found you today trying to do some trany research.I am in need of some recomendations for an oad trans for my 1973 mach 1.The engine is a rebuilt 351cleveland dino @484 max hp @ 6,000 rpm and 464 max torque@ 5,200 rpm.The engine now has 10:1 pistons,edlebrock2750performer intake, reworked original 2v heads w/lite porting,quick fuel hr 650 w/mechanical secondaries,roller can (intake lift=.567 exhaust lift=.552 intake duration@.050=.235 exhaust duration@.050=.249 lobe seperation=107 degrees,hope I didn't leave anything out.I will use the car mostly for cruising around town with a couple of trips to the track a year and some highway driving.Any help would be great.
Thanks.Did not know about the gear diff and starter issue.
Hi all,new member just found you today trying to do some trany research.I am in need of some recomendations for antrans for my 1973 mach 1.The engine is a rebuilt 351cleveland dino @484 max hp @ 6,000 rpm and 464 max torque@ 5,200 rpm.The engine now has 10:1 pistons,edlebrock2750performer intake, reworked original 2v heads w/lite porting,quick fuel hr 650 w/mechanical secondaries,roller can (intake lift=.567 exhaust lift=.552 intake duration@.050=.235 exhaust duration@.050=.249 lobe seperation=107 degrees,hope I didn't leave anything out.I will use the car mostly for cruising around town with a couple of trips to the track a year and some highway driving.Any help would be great.

Hi all,new member just found you today trying to do some trany research.I am in need of some recomendations for an oad trans for my 1973 mach 1.The engine is a rebuilt 351cleveland dino @484 max hp @ 6,000 rpm and 464 max torque@ 5,200 rpm.The engine now has 10:1 pistons,edlebrock2750performer intake, reworked original 2v heads w/lite porting,quick fuel hr 650 carb w/mechanical secondaries,roller cam (intake lift=.567 exhaust lift=.552 intake duration@.050=.235 exhaust duration@.050=.249 lobe seperation=107 degrees,hope I didn't leave anything out.I will use the car mostly for cruising around town with a couple of trips to the track a year and some highway driving.Any help would be great.

yeah, that is important. Not sure why Ford had multiple teeth count but as long as you have the right combo it will work. Don't forget the right motor plate too. Use the motor plate for the 157 tooth flexplate. Nice thing is most small blocks used the 157 tooth so they are plentiful. Finding the flexplate with the proper balance might be the hardest part. There are 28 oz. and 50 oz.. Not sure what your motor is supposed to have.

Unfortunetly,I cannot do DIY so I'v been looking at online builders.Do you or anyone you know of have any experience with,Patriot Transmission and performance,Silverfox transmission,Performance Automatics,or another reputable trans builder.I think I want to AOD w/tv cable and no computer

Unfortunetly,I cannot do DIY so I'v been looking at online builders.Do you or anyone you know of have any experience with,Patriot Transmission and performance,Silverfox transmission,Performance Automatics,or another reputable trans builder.I think I want to AOD w/tv cable and no computer
the only one I personally have experience with is Art Carr. I have a C4 with a transbrake and full manual reverse shift pattern that was built by Art Carr and it's pretty tough.

A quick Google says all 351C's had a 28 oz. flexplate so pre 80's flexplate should work. Mid 80's the small block went to 50 oz.
The crank bolt pattern is the same so an older 5.0 (302) flexplate and motor plate with a late model gear reduction starter should be the setup for you.

Back