• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

are 2.79 gears that boggy?

Does anyone make a c4 with a more agressive gear set? Maybe a more agressive first gear? I am going to swap to 3.25s and posi shortly but I have been told the car needs 3.80s.

3.80s will scream man. That would not be fun if you do any highway driving. I think that's what J has so he'll be able to chime in more.

Way back when, I swapped out Red's original 2.79 for a set of 3.0. Now I wished I had gone with 3.25. Might be a winter project.

"Starfury" said:
Want to swap? lol

I'm taking it on a 5 hr trip next week and haven't even made the time to put the 2.79 back in. I can't imagine how long it would take me to get to it for a trade. If you have an 8" 3.25 locked (in excellent condition) I'll seriously consider it.

In Shag I'm running 3.5. Might consider swapping out for 3.73 keeping the 3.5 for long distance traveling.

I'm running 4.11 gears and don't see what all the hub bub is about. Even at highway speeds it's no big deal. My only problem is on the track those gears limit me to 120 mph, but the grunt coming outta the corners is a blast [nb]that is, when the engine's not spitting parts out[/nb]

"blue65coupe" said:
I'm taking it on a 5 hr trip next week and haven't even made the time to put the 2.79 back in. I can't imagine how long it would take me to get to it for a trade. If you have an 8" 3.25 locked (in excellent condition) I'll seriously consider it.
Hehe, I was mostly joking. Mine's open anyway.

"silverblueBP" said:
I'm running 4.11 gears and don't see what all the hub bub is about. Even at highway speeds it's no big deal. My only problem is on the track those gears limit me to 120 mph, but the grunt coming outta the corners is a blast [nb]that is, when the engine's not spitting parts out[/nb]

How many gears you got Frances? Remember, we're talking mated to a c-4.

4, but the 4th is still one to one. It only runs 4G's at highway speeds :craz.

So it gets 8mpg. Since it only runs half of the time, it's like getting 16mpg!

but I have been told the car needs 3.80s.

Out of curiousity.... would the people stating that you need 3.80's be fox/late model Mustang owners?

A 3.80 rear gear set with a C4 would be okay on a track only car, but I sure as heck wouldn't want them on a daily driver. Your RPM's will be way too high....

As you're probably getting the idea, based on these replies, 3.25s are the best all-round set-up for most streeters. I've had several set-ups from 2.79s to 3.55s in "mild" Mustangs, and the 3.25s are my favourite by far.

Back