• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Attaching an outside mirror onto a door - DONE!

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I want to attach a mirror onto Red's passenger door, via drilling and attaching jack nuts, but I scared to death of chipping the paint. What's the best method of drilling a couple holes which I anticipate being around 1/4" diameter and minimize the risk of damaging the paint around the holes?

Craig

Re: Attaching an outside mirror onto a door

Use painters tape to cover the paint and then drill. No problemo.

Yeah but this is me we're talking about. Anything can happen.

Just do it, dont be scared! The mirror gasket will cover up any little boo boos.

Aw come on and grow a set. Big baby.............. :nut

Ride that rascal over here and I'll put a couple holes in it. I'll hit that thing like a biker hits Sanborn's eye! :hide

Put some masking tape down,
measure twice,
use a punch first to stop the drill bit wandering
and use a new drill bit.

Roberts your Mothers Brother!

Drill a small pilot hole using a good sharp 1/8" drill bit, then enlarge the hole to 1/4" using a stepped drill bit. Harbor freight and others have one that steps in 1/32" increments and is way less likely to damage paint. The single cutting edge give much better control on sheetmetal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-ti ... 91616.html

If your using the rivnuts, be sure to add some seam sealer after you install the nuts to keep water out.

"stangg" said:
Drill a small pilot hole using a good sharp 1/8" drill bit, then enlarge the hole to 1/4" using a stepped drill bit. Harbor freight and others have one that steps in 1/32" increments and is way less likely to damage paint. The single cutting edge give much better control on sheetmetal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-ti ... 91616.html

If your using the rivnuts, be sure to add some seam sealer after you install the nuts to keep water out.

:stu believe it or not, but those stepped drill bits from harbor freight are really good. i've had some more expensive ones that didnt hold up as well as the $9.99 set from harbor freight.

......and don't push too hard on the drill bit.

Can anyone with a 65/66 confirm the distance as marked in the following photo? I also believe that the RH mirror sits back maybe 1/2" more than the LH mirror?

4-220113114439.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Just duct tape it on.

I found that the right hand mirror is useless, since it's not a convex mirror. When (if) I ever get my car painted, I'm going to have the holes filled in and delete the rh mirror.

"66gt350" said:
Just duct tape it on.

I found that the right hand mirror is useless, since it's not a convex mirror. When (if) I ever get my car painted, I'm going to have the holes filled in and delete the rh mirror.

+1.

Craig: if you truly have to install the mirror, find the place where the mirror won't interfere with the wind wing window. Place it as close as you can to that glass without touching it when the vent is open.

Hey Craig, on my 65fb the right mirror is 10.75, my drivers mirror is 11.0, so that kind of jives with what you said. +1 on the HF step bits! hth, kip

"66gt350" said:
Just duct tape it on.

Rob:

You aware that RH convex mirrors are now available? I've got one on mine and it does a commendable job of letting me see into the blind spot behind the sail panel.

Regards, Jeff

P.S. did that squirrel with the blue dot ever come back?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attaching an outside mirror onto a door

Yesterday, I installed a convex RH mirror onto gtscode's car. Thanks for the advise especially suggesting a step drill bit. Sat went our local Harbor Freight and picked up a set.

amy5yseg.jpg

tejeza8u.jpg

e4esu8ad.jpg

I really like the convex type mirror. Think I'll put one on both Red & Shag

Attaching an outside mirror onto a door

Finally got around installing a convex mirror on Red's passenger door today while I was baby sitting some tree people while they were working on one of our oak trees.

8a7ana8y.jpg

je7e2eqe.jpg

Look'in good. Now the people who drive on the right side of you don't have to be scared of you rolling over them.

Back