1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Aussies

Discussion in 'Non Mustang General Discussion' started by 3175375, Nov 14, 2017.

1. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

For those of you Mustang owners in Australia, how many of have converted to right hand steer?

About 20 years ago I spoke with couple of blokes who were buying parts at Scott Drake Mustang to do the conversion.

2. scedd

scedd Well-Known Member

Frankenstang has been converted using an ED Falcon as a donor car (Quite similar to a Crown Vic).
    It scored the motor , gearbox, diff, computer, fuel system, brakes, steering and dash, so its not a very good comparison.
    To do a RHD conversion properly takeas a bit of work in a 65 to 70 Mustang.
    You have to cut an OZ Falcon Drag link, shorten and reweld, which involves X-Rays for the engineering certification, then you use OZ Falcon tie rod ends & stub axles to correct the bump steer.
    Heating and bending stub axles is not allowed in OZ.
    The dash has to be removed, the ends cut off then massaged and swapped, then the Facia has to be done, plus Plastic Welding and rechroming.
    The firewall has each side cut out, swapped and rehashed.
    Dynacorn make a RHD Firewall, but the general consensus is its a piece of shit.
    Many cut up a donor OZ Falcon firewall for the bits as swapping doesnt give you heater hoses in the right position, etc.
    You need an OZ Ford pedal box.
    The chassis has to be drilled and crush tubes welded in to use the OZ steering box.
    The heater box has to be dissasembled and the core flipped.
    The wipers have to be mirrored to get the sweep correct.
    Its not cumpolsory for anything over 30 years old to be converted, but for me it was an easy decision.
    If i wanted to drive LHD i would move to the USA.
    For an older Mustang the cost is between 8 - 15k, depending on how much work is farmed out.
    For something new 00 - 2015 its about 40k.
    Thats why the 2015 on new Mustangs are so popular - drive away in a new GT from the Stealership for 56k.

3. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member