1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Back for re-restoration;)

Discussion in 'Member's Build Threads' started by Dne', Sep 17, 2018.

1. janschutz

janschutz Corn Hauler

If I was doing this, I would leave the AC out for now. Save $$ and time. Have the AC as a future project after it back to driving condition.

The motors are available. Got my last one at West Coast Cougars.

Dne' likes this.
  2. Dne'

Dne' Active Member

That's an idea John;) Earlier today, (I was 'shopping') for the actuator and blower, but all the units have wireless/cableless features! I bought my system in about '09, so they've changed:( for the better I suppose. John, I'd just like to get it all over with and I'll be honest, I have to have AC! lol I'd give up power steering before I'd give up AC;) Kidding, I want both!
    I just got back in, it is so HUMID today. I really hate dripping sweat, not very lady like for sure! I hear we have a cool front coming in this weekend! Jumping for Joy here~~ !!!

Today, still removing stuff from the cab area, where you ride area? It's just about empty; still have the brake booster/ steering column to get out, oh then remove the brake pedal assembly since I'll be adding a clutch. Actually the inside looks pretty good, not sure what I'll do, maybe Rustbullet or POR15, then the tuffmat.

When I did the "restoration", wasn't really a restoration, but then I didn't have a Maxjax lift or 4 post, I'd like to make the undercarriage look nice, you know, do the best I can in cleaning it, the coat it with something, like maybe what's in the back of trucks? A little ways off on that, but not really, I'm not painting unless absolutely necessary. The paint on the Stang was a single stage Hugger orange, and has served well for a lesser quality paint job.
    Just rattling here~ Got to eat, I'm starved!
    dne' ;)

3. janschutz

janschutz Corn Hauler

Just noticed you are in Cypress. That is where my SIL lives. Julie and I need to go see her sometime in early November. Maybe I can talk Julie into letting me go meet y'all (you and hubby) and do some wrenching.

Dne' likes this.
  4. Dne'

Dne' Active Member

OMG yes!!! Just give me a shout when y'all are in town!! ;)

5. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

If you're serious about cleaning up the bottom I can tell you it is REALLY nice to have that way. I sprayed mine with Raptor and love it. It is a two part bedliner type material. Very easy to apply. Did mine with the car up on nothing but jackstands. I wore a cheap painters suit and hood and went at it. It not only looks good but helps with sound deadening and clean up. One of the best things I think you can do with a car. BUT the bottom needs to be clean and free of any rust, etc.

Dne' likes this.
  6. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Dne' likes this.
  7. Dne'

Dne' Active Member

Thanks Terry, just watched a video on it, looks great!!

And Randy, have to just keep it away from my Boobus(s)! lol That was a funny thread!!!

8. Dne'

Dne' Active Member

Regarding the upper control arms on both sides, the ball joint rubbers are torn towards the outside. Is there a limiter of travel when the car is lifted off the ground? I don't have to tend to this right now, but easier with the fenders off. I was thinking getting the UCA's with the rubber bushings instead of the greasable type. But still like to know why the rubber parts are torn. I was thinking it may be the wrong shocks allowing too much travel, but really don't know.

9. Dne'

Dne' Active Member

gee, finally got a picture to post~ Mustang suspension2.jpg

10. Dne'

Dne' Active Member

Oh what a nice day here in Cypress, Tx, the cool front passed through; great day to roll the stang out and pressure wash it(again). It cleaned up pretty good, now to pull out the steering/brake pedal assembly, not sure about the gas tank yet. Probably should remove it, there was a lot of water in the tank which became a little 'redish' when I drained most of the gas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dne'

Dne' Active Member

I had been looking at the one piece headliners, and I thought they were like a 130 bucks, but Nooooo! I'm trying to be frugal, so back to the original headliner. So, pulled out the front and rear glass. Wasn't bad at all. Darn it, still need to pull out the steering column and brake pedal assembly~ doah!;)
    Kids are coming in the weekend, so, won't get anything done. I may complain about having to re-restore my stang, but I'm enjoying it~ am I ill? ;)

[​IMG]

12. Dne'

Dne' Active Member

As for seats, the rear seats made it and dried out very well and don't stink and no mold on them. Then I have 3 sets of used miata seats from the early 90's, one set are the M-series. So was thinkin about re-upholstering them with black and a hint of orange, or something close. Gary bought me a new walking foot sewing machine and I'm really interested in sewing upholstery, I'm actually pretty good. Meh, going out to eat this evening, we don't go out very often as I'm pretty picky about what I eat. Ok, I'll be back;)

[​IMG]

13. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

I'm one who loves the look of the original headliners. Think they are much more stylish. I also bought a walking foot machine to learn on and do much of the upholstery work in my car. Go for it. I chickened out on the seats this time around as my skills weren't to the level I thought I could save any money doing it myself but on my truck project I'm taking the shot. I suggest really limiting the use of much orange in yours. Keeping it to the thread color in some areas would look good and not be too much. Easy to get carried away with bold contrasting colors and cross over to gaudy.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the re-restoration. Building my car was the most rewarding and fun part of the whole experience for me.

Dne' likes this.