• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Back for re-restoration;)

If I was doing this, I would leave the AC out for now. Save $$ and time. Have the AC as a future project after it back to driving condition.

The motors are available. Got my last one at West Coast Cougars.

That's an idea John;) Earlier today, (I was 'shopping') for the actuator and blower, but all the units have wireless/cableless features! I bought my system in about '09, so they've changed:( for the better I suppose. John, I'd just like to get it all over with and I'll be honest, I have to have AC! lol I'd give up power steering before I'd give up AC;) Kidding, I want both!
I just got back in, it is so HUMID today. I really hate dripping sweat, not very lady like for sure! I hear we have a cool front coming in this weekend! Jumping for Joy here~~ !!!

Today, still removing stuff from the cab area, where you ride area? It's just about empty; still have the brake booster/ steering column to get out, oh then remove the brake pedal assembly since I'll be adding a clutch. Actually the inside looks pretty good, not sure what I'll do, maybe Rustbullet or POR15, then the tuffmat.

When I did the "restoration", wasn't really a restoration, but then I didn't have a Maxjax lift or 4 post, I'd like to make the undercarriage look nice, you know, do the best I can in cleaning it, the coat it with something, like maybe what's in the back of trucks? A little ways off on that, but not really, I'm not painting unless absolutely necessary. The paint on the Stang was a single stage Hugger orange, and has served well for a lesser quality paint job.
Just rattling here~ Got to eat, I'm starved!
dne' ;)

Just noticed you are in Cypress. That is where my SIL lives. Julie and I need to go see her sometime in early November. Maybe I can talk Julie into letting me go meet y'all (you and hubby) and do some wrenching.

If you're serious about cleaning up the bottom I can tell you it is REALLY nice to have that way. I sprayed mine with Raptor and love it. It is a two part bedliner type material. Very easy to apply. Did mine with the car up on nothing but jackstands. I wore a cheap painters suit and hood and went at it. It not only looks good but helps with sound deadening and clean up. One of the best things I think you can do with a car. BUT the bottom needs to be clean and free of any rust, etc.

Thanks Terry, just watched a video on it, looks great!!

And Randy, have to just keep it away from my Boobus(s)! lol That was a funny thread!!!

Regarding the upper control arms on both sides, the ball joint rubbers are torn towards the outside. Is there a limiter of travel when the car is lifted off the ground? I don't have to tend to this right now, but easier with the fenders off. I was thinking getting the UCA's with the rubber bushings instead of the greasable type. But still like to know why the rubber parts are torn. I was thinking it may be the wrong shocks allowing too much travel, but really don't know.

Oh what a nice day here in Cypress, Tx, the cool front passed through; great day to roll the stang out and pressure wash it(again). It cleaned up pretty good, now to pull out the steering/brake pedal assembly, not sure about the gas tank yet. Probably should remove it, there was a lot of water in the tank which became a little 'redish' when I drained most of the gas.

I had been looking at the one piece headliners, and I thought they were like a 130 bucks, but Nooooo! I'm trying to be frugal, so back to the original headliner. So, pulled out the front and rear glass. Wasn't bad at all. Darn it, still need to pull out the steering column and brake pedal assembly~ doah!;)
Kids are coming in the weekend, so, won't get anything done. I may complain about having to re-restore my stang, but I'm enjoying it~ am I ill? ;)

As for seats, the rear seats made it and dried out very well and don't stink and no mold on them. Then I have 3 sets of used miata seats from the early 90's, one set are the M-series. So was thinkin about re-upholstering them with black and a hint of orange, or something close. Gary bought me a new walking foot sewing machine and I'm really interested in sewing upholstery, I'm actually pretty good. Meh, going out to eat this evening, we don't go out very often as I'm pretty picky about what I eat. Ok, I'll be back;)

I'm one who loves the look of the original headliners. Think they are much more stylish. I also bought a walking foot machine to learn on and do much of the upholstery work in my car. Go for it. I chickened out on the seats this time around as my skills weren't to the level I thought I could save any money doing it myself but on my truck project I'm taking the shot. I suggest really limiting the use of much orange in yours. Keeping it to the thread color in some areas would look good and not be too much. Easy to get carried away with bold contrasting colors and cross over to gaudy.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the re-restoration. Building my car was the most rewarding and fun part of the whole experience for me.

Ever notice how quickly time goes by?
I've been working on my daughters 02 Honda crv which we bought for her a while back. This is to help fund my project. Both fans(radiator/condensor) were out, the starter died as soon as I got it, the radiator switch died, suprised the AC didn't blow up or engine! Anyway got it going and it's on the market!
hmm, sold my brothers 81 Honda CX500 cafe racer, was hoping for a little money from that, but moms medical bills from her last hospital stay, guess how much, 2500.oo after insurance, that's what I got for the bike! lol

THen we were finally going to go to a nifty50ees, so I got the 59 Chevy truck out, took for a test spin and one of the front calipers was trying to lock up, you know, the smell and smoke of brake pads! grrr~ just made it home.
then, surely the TR6 would be OK, but the right front brake caliper was trying to lock up! What are the odds!!?? Just got some new calipers~ maybe next car show:)

However, I just ordered a bunch of parts for my engine, so I hope to be back on here making progress. I'm a snail:(

All is well, I'll be back soon with great show n tell! ;)

It's not like I haven't been busy, the holidays sure slowing things down, then procrastination of how to proceed slows me. Now I'm off in a direction where progress is visible, parts are being ordered. Just sent an email to Randy (midlife) to get the wiring harness.

After finally getting the 5.0 and 5 speed trans installed, Gary help me move the Stang to the other part of the shop where it's AC/heat is and closer to my main tool box!

image hosting services

The question I have here is, choosing a ratio for the pumpkin?? How do I choose since having a 5 speed manual trans? The stock diff was a 2:79. I found a place on Ebay which sells third members with choice of limited slip and whatever ratio. However, I'm going to look around Houston, surely there is a builder around here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-8-INC...p-9/332933963643?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

dne' ;)

I have a T5 five speed in my car. I've logged over 700 miles on it this summer between shows and cruises. City and highway driving. It's seen it all. I can tell you that something in the line of a 3.55 or more is where you want to be. I went 3.80 in mine. Could have gone 4.11 without much worry but wanted to be comfortable on long highway drives across country so came down a notch. Launch is really good but even at 75 mph on the open road the rpm is well below 3k.

I would recommend looking into a TruTrac as opposed to a Ford unit. {.} advised me to go that route as he has one in his race car and likes it. I have to say I think it is probably the best "posi" unit you can put in a rearend. I had mine set up at Quickperformance.com (they are in Ames, IA) and can't say enough good things about them. Hope this helps.

I have a 3.50 behind the T5 and it seems to be a great combo. First gear is almost unusable, so I can’t imagine how it would feel with a 4.11 or something that deep. I need to shift to second before I clear the crosswalks!

I could see going as far as 3.75 but no further to have a comfortable rpm at elevated highway speeds.

I have a 3.50 behind the T5 and it seems to be a great combo. First gear is almost unusable, so I can’t imagine how it would feel with a 4.11 or something that deep. I need to shift to second before I clear the crosswalks!

I could see going as far as 3.75 but no further to have a comfortable rpm at elevated highway speeds.
All T5's are not created equal. Thanks for the reminder, Ken. Yours likely has the dreaded 3.35 1st gear. Standard on 90's mustangs. I have a better 2.95 1st in mine. I'd agree if you have one of those trans a lower numerical gear would be wise but in fifth (overdrive) you can easily run a 3.80...I'm doing it!

Gee guys, thank you for the input. I looked up the gearing for my T5 and the numbers actually mean little to me! lol I'd hate to know I wouldn't be able to use 1st gear, but looking forward to a good top end with lowered rpms. We all do! So if I went with the 3.80 and below, I'd be OK? I'll look into the Tru-track Terry! ;)

http://www.mongosgarage.com/tech/t5/T5Numbers.PDF

You've got the same trans as Ken. You'll want to keep your rear gear closer to a 3.50 if you expect to do any volume of highway driving in excess of 60/65 mph. You can find an online calculator where you enter your vehicle speed, tire size, transmission and rear end gear ratios to find out what kind of rpm the engine will be turning if you really want to know where things will end up.

Back