• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

best electric fan?

dfc389a137a1532bc25bb2469658fdd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, ask and yee shall receive! but sadly that won't fit. The fans or fan guards are 2.80" from the radiator surface. I might have 2 to 2.5"

The current mech fan doesn't look like it is capable of doing much in terms of pulling air through your radiator. Those blades look far too small for the task. I'm not home now but will be this weekend and can measure my fan but pretty sure it is less than 2.5" in depth. I also have an aluminum shroud design I think you should copy. It ensures 100% of air is pulled through the full radiator body.

thanks, yes the mechanical fan I have is not adequate. I added the auxiliary pusher and that helped a lot but the two together are just marginal at best.

Wow, ask and yee shall receive! but sadly that won't fit. The fans or fan guards are 2.80" from the radiator surface. I might have 2 to 2.5"
But you should try to look at one in person, hands on the Taurus fan is another option. A lot of times the factory shrouding they are mounted in can be trimmed down to make then thinner. Just a thought.

But you should try to look at one in person, hands on the Taurus fan is another option. A lot of times the factory shrouding they are mounted in can be trimmed down to make then thinner. Just a thought.

Not too mention, it might not be as deep where your pulley would come in contact.

Also the 4 cylinder ones are single fan. Has to be a 6 cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig, have you looked at the derale rigid race fan with six blades? I have that fan and it really pulls air thru at idle rpm. Just don't know if it will fit between your radiator and water pump. Summit sells them.
Streetortrack.com also sells them. Shaun is on the fix n a great guy.

So here is a pic of my set-up. The aluminum shroud fits pretty tight to the radiator and the fan mounts to its surface pulling 100% of its drawn air through the full radiator. There are relief louvers at each corner to prevent a pressure problem. Car will run all day in the garage and never over heat. I let it get up to 215ish once before allowing the fan to kick on and it brought it down to 195 or so in a flash. 2 row (1") radiator. Fan depth off shroud face is 2.25". 16" circumference.
fan.jpg

So here is a pic of my set-up. The aluminum shroud fits pretty tight to the radiator and the fan mounts to its surface pulling 100% of its drawn air through the full radiator. There are relief louvers at each corner to prevent a pressure problem. Car will run all day in the garage and never over heat. I let it get up to 215ish once before allowing the fan to kick on and it brought it down to 195 or so in a flash. 2 row (1") radiator. Fan depth off shroud face is 2.25". 16" circumference.
View attachment 30655
Sharp! Where did you get that?

I should have bolted the timing cover and water pump on during the trans mock up so I could measure what clearance I have with new motor mounts. I just don't think I am going to have room between the pump and radiator.

Sharp! Where did you get that?
Yeah. I am trying to find my paperwork on it. I don't remember. My stack of receipts is rather large so bare with me. Pretty sure I found a source who supplied both the custom shroud and fan as a unit.

The gentleman that is building the P1600 had a neat setup on the 68 convertible it had four small fans in a shroud. You may want to PM him or look at his tread.

The gentleman that is building the P1600 had a neat setup on the 68 convertible it had four small fans in a shroud. You may want to PM him or look at his tread.
Darreld's build is $$$. That set-up likely cost as much as Craig's new transmission! I exaggerate...but not by as much as you might think. That said, all one needs do is gain access to a sheet metal brake and making a custom shroud doesn't have to cost much.

thanks Terry, I will look into that type once I have confirmed the actual dimensions. I haven't started assembly yet so when I return from England I may just drop the block back in and bolt on some parts to get a measurement.

craig, you should think about moving the radiator forward. you will need to modify the core support to allow it, but most guys can pick up about an inch of extra space between the radiator and the engine.

Back