• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Best Ford

daveSanborn

I roasted my arse off at a local car show this afternoon (noon- 4PM) showing off the '66. There were probably 100 or so cars and maybe 20 or so Mustangs. Awards time finally rolled around and I staggered over to the crowd of attendees gathered at the registration desk. There were numerous different awards being given away and honestly, this is the first time I've ever stuck around to see who won what (a guy I was hanging out with kept feeding me cold brewski's and I figured this was as good a place as any to enjoy a cold beer). I stood there through every possible award catagory imaginable.... best sound system..... best paint...... best original..... best engine.... etc., etc., etc. When it was almost over, they had the three big trophies (wall placques actually) and announced "best Ford" and I actually won. It was hilarious as the guy I was hanging with and drinking the beers was drunker than I thought and he thought they called his number (we both had '66 stangs). He was on one side of the crowd and I was on the other.... he staggered up there before I did.... shook hands.... got the award.... was walking off when I walked up there and said WTF are you doing? We got it straightened out, but it was one of those moments where you wished there was someone there with a video camera to capture the event. We ended up cruising back to my place, I sold him an AOD I had laying around and then we cooked up some burgers and drank beers until around 9PM. Now he's talking about crashing the VMF MBB event, which is fine with me, he'll fit in like a round peg in a round hole with me and Duane.

This whole award thing kinda blew me away a little bit. Best Mopar went to a guy with an all original absolutely drop dead gorgeous pee in your pants 440 Hemi SuperBee. Best GM went to another original, a LS6 Chevelle that I'd probably donate a kidney and maybe even both eyes for... and then my '66 FB as best Ford. There was a lot of interest around my car for most of the afternoon, but I guess only I see all of the flaws with it. There's no way in hell (IMO) that it's in the same class as the Superbee and Chevelle, but I guees to those that were judging, it was. Very weird!

what the hell is a 440 Hemi Superbee. Isn't it one or the other?

Like I'm the Mopar expert? Heck I dunno..... The car was I believe a 1970. It was a SuperBee. Was the SuperBee an actual model name or was it a trim option? It looked like a RoadRunner but had the yellow and black bumblebee on it instead. It had "Original 426/440 Hemi" written on it's show placard.... and by the size of those heads/engine, I didn't question him.

Thanks Laurie!

But I'm still not painting the underside of my car body color! way, way WAY too much work in something like that.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

For 1969 1/2-1970, the Super Bee came with a 383, 426 Hemi, or 440 6-pack. In 1968, it was just a 383 or a 426 Hemi. The Super Bee was a model of the Coronet.

If the sign said "Original 426/440 Hemi," that's like a Mustang sign saying "Original 390/428 Cobra Jet." Doesn't make sense. Whatever, I'm sure it was sweet, and again congrats on the "best Ford."

Doesn't make sense.

I see what you're saying now. It's 99% posible that I've confused something, but I distinctly remember reading 426 Hemi/440 on his placard.... and the heads appeared about 9" across so I'm pretty sure it was a Hemi motor.

Congrads, well deserved :pep I love to see different things, and the EFI is just bitchin. I don't know the OTHER cars, so at most car shows I remain silent. OH YEH, I love the video of the doughnuts, who was on the camera? Well anyway, I like some of the other makes EXCEPT the vets. I place them in the same category as BMWS and Porcupines.

Back