• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

BigHoss' Build Thread

BigHoss

Alrighty fellas time to stop dumpin money into my R/T and start dumpin it back into the stang. Havnt really shown my face around here much but for those of you that don't know me. My names Nate aka BigHoss ass my boys call me. I have a '67 coupe. So far I've invested to much into it. Lol here's a pic
46be3384-d876-8191.jpg

So I have a 418 I was going to drop in but then got a steal on a 460. Got it all stripped down and now I need to take it to the machine shop and get it cleaned up and spread out. So my plans are to bore stroke and blow this 460. Haha lucky engine gets more action than me ;) anyways I'm thinking a 545 or 557 with a blower and maybe the bottle. My goal is 1000hp but any where from 700-1k I'd be happy with. pics to come. Here's what I got so far
46be3384-da3f-ff36.jpg
46be3384-da71-506e.jpg

Oh yea the cars currently in pieces in my garage gettin prepped for paint.
46be3384-dade-24e8.jpg
should look like this after paint (photoshop)
46be3384-db11-dccb.jpg
but I was also thinking of doing black pearl like my R/T and doing the accents flat black? What y'all think? Any suggestions w the build?

sweet! another BBF coupe!!!
I have a 67 with a 429.
I like the concept, mine is very very mild. I drive it about 6,000 miles a year and at least every weekend year round. I'd be interested to follow the engine build-up. Mine is a 70 D0VE-A block with forged flat top's and D0VE-C heads with mild port work. With 3.70's it will pull tree stumps out of the ground, I can't imagine what a Blown 557 on the bottle would do!!!
72-200611104041-8272619.jpeg

Nice car bud. Yea I'll keep it updated as I go along. One thing I'm still trying to get clarification on is w the stroker kit it works for anything between 545-557. It's the bore that makes the difference. Ex) .30 w that kit would make it a 545. So I'm guessing .60 over is the 557? I've never done that much before on a block? Any one think it's a bad idea to bore it out that much? It's going to be a weekend car and maybe a strip car as well on occasion. Nothin crazy.

"BigHoss" said:
Nice car bud. Yea I'll keep it updated as I go along. One thing I'm still trying to get clarification on is w the stroker kit it works for anything between 545-557. It's the bore that makes the difference. Ex) .30 w that kit would make it a 545. So I'm guessing .60 over is the 557? I've never done that much before on a block? Any one think it's a bad idea to bore it out that much? It's going to be a weekend car and maybe a strip car as well on occasion. Nothin crazy.
Never done a BB but when you start boring that much you probably need to worry about the affect the added pressure and heat of a supercharger is going to have on the cylinder walls. Juice is only going to add to that concern.

When you get the block stripped down, have a sonic check on the cylinder walls. I had a 460 before the 429 and when I went to rebuild it, it needed bored to clean up a few cylinders. They did a sonic check and found at least two had been cast a little off center and boring would have been too thin in those two. They recommended sleeving those. I chose instead to shop for a different block and ended up with a real clean 1970 429. My advice would be to have the block checked as soon as you can so you know if it's a usable one.

"BigHoss" said:
That's what I figured too. So safe bet and to conserve the block I think .30 (545) is the safest bet.
Like I said, I have never built a BB but do know some blocks can handle a larger bore better than others. Could be a 460 can take a 60 over as easily as a SBF does a 30. Craig has a very good point about having the block checked out.

Ok that's what my plan was. I'm scared to get it cleaned up and see what left but well see I will try and make the drive soon.

the 385 series (429/460) is considered a "thinwall casting" like the SBF so .060" is probably MAX safe over bore.

The thread for that should include passing it around to each member for a months test ride....me first......nice set of wheels.

So I found a tunnel ram set up for roughly $800. Anyone think this is a bad idea for a 545 stroker? (full set up)

Or

My original plan was a weiand blower! Found just the blower for $700?

Well I didn't put this on the stang but I installed a new oil catch can on the R/T today. :)
5e75d6ff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back