• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Billet Pulley On a Unisteer Pump......UPDATE

Ponyman66

Yak, yak, yak
Okay, I give up! When I purchased my Unisteer R&P I ordered it with a serpentine pulley. When it came in the serpentine pulley was provided, but the standard V belt pulley was on the pump. It's a Gen II TC pump (GM), but the custom billet pulleys don't have the usual neck on them to allow them to be pulled with the standard p/s pulley removal tool. I've resorted to trying a three finger puller through the holes in the pulley to allow pressure on the central part of the pulley hub. Due to their pattern it won't allow a straight pull (I threaded a bolt into the pump shaft to put pressure against to prevent pump or pump shaft damage). Due to the puller not allowed to pull straight up the pulley is getting uneven pressure causing it to bind and not move.

Yeah, in a fit of frustration I tried a large three finger puller on the outside flanges of the pulley. No, it didn't bend the pulley (they're pretty stout billet). Instead it pulled a chunk out of it. Scratch one pulley! Lesson? Frustration usually results in dumb ass move! :roul

Fortunately I did not intend to use the pulley. I had intended to offer to someone that wanted it....not an option now! Due to my work schedule it's difficult for me to call Unisteer's tech folks until next week. Just checking to see if anyone could offer suggestions or had any experience with these pumps/pulleys.

8060510.jpg

Re: Billet Pulley On a Unisteer Pump

No experience with it... but here's a thought. Since the pulley can't be reused, how about drilling and tapping 3 holes into the face of the pulley so that you can securely mount a steering wheel puller directly to the pulley.

Another simpler option may be to still use the steering wheel puller and see if you can run 3 long bolts through the puller slots and then through the already existing holes. Secure it on the backside of the pulley with fender washers and nuts.

Once you get it started and pressure starts to build, if it doesn't want to budge leave it loaded and maybe run a little heat around the center of the pulley with a propane torch. Don't get it too hot since you don't want to damage the seals, concentrate just on the aluminum and I suspect it will pop right off.

Re: Billet Pulley On a Unisteer Pump

Thanks for the ideas. The thought of drilling and tapping some holes in the face is one that I am indeed considering. If nothing else I'll either get the pulley off or pull the threads out! LOL

Getting nuts/washers to the underside to use a steering wheel style puller is a bear. I had actually taken mine out of the tool box and looked at that as an option. There's almost no room to fit anything back behind it. The clearance between the face of the pump and the pulley is super tight almost all the way around. The center portion of the pulley also tapers in sharply on the back side, and of course, the holes in the face are right up next to that portion of the hub! :rant

The upside is, I got a serpentine billet pulley in the set. If I ever had to remove it I'd have the same difficulty. A stock steel one WITH the collar is actually going back on it! That way I can use the standard removal tool in the future!! :thu

Thanks again!

VICTORY at last!! Well I finally got the damn pulley off....and without harming the pump. I figured I'd post for future reference for those that may run into this problem. What I ended up doing was getting a large bearing separator and installed it around the hub of the pulley. I then threaded a bolt into the pump shaft, ensuring it was fully seated. Finally I took the whole thing over to the shop press. It all fits onto some press blocks to support the bearing separator, and without needing to remove the reservoir. A little pressure from the hydraulic press onto the bolt in the pump shaft and TADA! It popped right off. Just wish I woulda figured this out BEFORE destroying the pulley! :rant

If you want a spare or back up let me know, I have my stock unisteer pump sitting in a box in the attic (V-belt pulley on it). I upgraded to a KRC pump. I kept getting a low RPM whine from the pump, so I swapped it out.

Kinda crappy of Unisteer to send the pulley you ordered but not explain how to get the other one off....Glad you got it off without damaging the pump,

I appreciate the offer and I'll keep it in mind. Quit frankly I was somewhat surprised that the serpentine pulley came separate and the pump had a v-belt pulley installed. I specifically ordered the kit with the serp. pulley! It's not intended as criticism of Unisteer, heck I (almost) ended up with a spare pulley. I also can't complain because they cut me one HELLUVA deal on the whole set up. Add to that, it was a "custom" order. I needed some parts from the 65/66 kit and some from the 67/68 kit.....in addition to the serp pulley and EFI motor pump mounting brackets!

I dealt directly with their off road sales manager (the department that handles all of the hot rod and muscle car systems), and he put everything together for me that I asked for. Due to the variety of different non-original parts I was using we talked for quit awhile with him ensuring I wouldn't have any troubles and everything would integrate properly with no geometry problems. It was a pretty good compliment when he, basically, said I had done my homework on putting my suspension together and shouldn't have any issues with the system I was asking for versus the parts I have.

Oh well, part of the fun of doing this kind of stuff is figuring out how to solve problems. Too many people expect to build something custom, but expect everything just to bolt right together!

Back