• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Borgeson Power Steering System - Anyone Install One?

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
"67 evil eleanor" said:
Finally seen the vid. I'm not sure that's much slop at all. It seems that its fairly tight. Horseplay, I'd love to see pictures of the gear before you install it. I seen three other Troopers in the yard that are set to be crushed. I can buy the units for a few bucks each.
I'll get them posted up today for you.

Fst Blk

I plan to do the same trooper box. The mustang pitman should have plenty of meat to respline to the trooper shaft. That's my plan anyhow.
Bill

A

Anonymous

I went out to the garage and played with the unit I have a little. In using a digital angle finder I was able to adjust the free travel from about 6.2* down to 2.3. That adjustment "may" tighten things up. It however look like it had the same exact amount of movement as yours did in the video. This unit seems to be in decent shape and the doner vehicle had about 60k miles on it.

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
Here are a few pics of the Borgeson box. Looks to me like they do a fair amount of cutting and grinding to reposition the mounting plate for the conversion application. I tried to show some of the overall dimensions as well. If anyone needs more detail just let me know.

Attachments

• borg1.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 75
  • borg2.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 76
  • borg4.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 77
  • borg5.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 72
  • borg6.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 67
A

Anonymous

Looks like the've welded a mounting plate. Hmmmmmm.................Thanks for the photos.

Fst Blk

Can you post a pic of the trooper box for comparison? Also, looking at the two pitman arms, does it look like the mustang pitman has enough meat to be resplined for the trooper box?
Bill

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Finally seen the vid. I'm not sure that's much slop at all. It seems that its fairly tight. Horseplay, I'd love to see pictures of the gear before you install it. I seen three other Troopers in the yard that are set to be crushed. I can buy the units for a few bucks each.

Whatever it looks like to you in the video, it is way too much slop. It's not any better than my stock p/s, and I've said this before, but I guess it's worth repeating, but Borgeson agrees with me. It's not normal, that's never been in question. The question has always been what to do about it.
BTW, you cannot measure the play with the power steering inoperable. The hydraulics tighten it up a certain amount.

A

Anonymous

Have you tried to adjust it? It worked on this one. I know the power steering makes a little difference but the basic worm and gear have a clearance, and if you reduce this, then the slop has to go provided nothing else is worn out. If Borgeson agrees, then they should replace the unit until you receive a good one. In the mean time, you may to try to loosen the nut while holding the screw and then turn it in 1/2 a turn and tighten the nut once again as you hold the serew in place. If it works, then you should to remove all the slop, if it doesn't, I'm out of any ideas.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Have you tried to adjust it? It worked on this one. I know the power steering makes a little difference but the basic worm and gear have a clearance, and if you reduce this, then the slop has to go provided nothing else is worn out. If Borgeson agrees, then they should replace the unit until you receive a good one. In the mean time, you may to try to loosen the nut while holding the screw and then turn it in 1/2 a turn and tighten the nut once again as you hold the serew in place. If it works, then you should to remove all the slop, if it doesn't, I'm out of any ideas.

Like I said (repeatedly, BTW :shrug), the box is bad. We know that. Adjusting it was the first thing I did, and didn't help. Its the second box I've had in it. It's a lot of work for me to swap it out, so I wasn't willing to just keep swapping bad boxes in and out while Borgeson let me do all the work for them. I finally got them to basically custom build one for me, and they say they are sure that this one is 100%.

A

Anonymous

OK, I was only trying to help. I'm glad to see there gonna send you a new hand selected and inspected unit. I did run your issue by a mechanic friend and his reply was the worm or gear (or both) was worn so much that the slop will never be removed. Also he said that bearing wear could be an issue. Hope it works out for you.

Hey, no worries. I know you were trying to help, and I appreciate it. If I sounded otherwise, it's because I'm growing tired of dealing with this. I'll let you and everyone else know how it turns out.

Sluggo

"bravenrace" said:
Like I said (repeatedly, BTW :shrug), the box is bad. We know that. Adjusting it was the first thing I did, and didn't help. Its the second box I've had in it. It's a lot of work for me to swap it out, so I wasn't willing to just keep swapping bad boxes in and out while Borgeson let me do all the work for them. I finally got them to basically custom build one for me, and they say they are sure that this one is 100%.

Evil apparently made the same assumption I did. You stated that they suggested that you tighten it but never indicated that you in fact tried it until this post. With that bit of info, your frustration is understandable.

The new box came yesterday. On the bench it seems to be better. I'll have to put it in to know for sure. I'll report back once I have it in and have had a chance to drive it.