• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

brace question

RustyRed

I am thinking about ordering a new one piece export brace.

I noticed John's also sells a "Export Brace Mount Stiffener "

What the heck is that and would it be a good idea to have one?

It might be a good idea, but I didn't add one. I have not noticed any cracks or twisting without it.

"RustyRed" said:
I am thinking about ordering a new one piece export brace.

I noticed John's also sells a "Export Brace Mount Stiffener "

What the heck is that and would it be a good idea to have one?

I believe it mounts under the lip on the fire wall using the export brace mount bolts. It also attaches to the fire wall to provide more support at the firewall.

I might add one...it's only $12. If that is the most the Mustang ever has or will cost me I'd be in hog heaven :rofl

I went ahead and bought it.

Just haven't had time to look at installing the new export brace yet. It has been so freaking hot here I am probably going to wait till fall.

Saturday, I went to Aikido class for two hours and even with the A/C I was drenched when I came out. Then I went home and finished up replacing my dash pad. I was taking the Mustang to a local street meet Saturday night so after I finished the pad figured what the hell and washed the car. By 3:30 p.m. being in the heat all day I was really feeling it and almost skipped the street meet. Ended up sitting on the couch a few hours and drinking lots of H2O. Felt better after that minus the killer head ache.

I am also however putting off the install of the Monte Carlo and new export brace because I've read some things to suggest it might be a real pita to get them in. I asked a buddy that runs a shop and he told me the way he usually ends up having to get the bar in is via convincing it with a bfh.

he usually ends up having to get the bar in is via convincing it with a bfh.

He speaks from experience. Rarely will a one-piece bar go on w/o some kind of persuasion. It's nothing to dread, but I'm with you, wait til it get's cooler. No sense in killing yourself when cooler weather will make the job more comfortable.

Luckily, when it gets cooler I also have several days of vacation that I don't have anything better to do with them than work on the Stang.

I might be doing something with my motor soon and have been putting it off due to some things going on with the wife's job. Probably better to not put the new parts in until I am doing something with the motor.

Makes sense to deal with it at the same time as the rest of the engine bay work. At least I have the bar and brace now....never waste a perfectly good father's day or b-day as an excuse to buy parts even if I don't plan to install them right away. If you waste them you end up with clothes or something stupid like that. :rofl

"RustyRed" said:
.....never waste a perfectly good father's day or b-day as an excuse to buy parts even if I don't plan to install them right away. If you waste them you end up with clothes or something stupid like that. :rofl

Speaking from experience, be cautios when buying warranted parts early. Your warranty starts the day of purchase. Not when installed...

Ask me how I know :nice

Back