• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bracing to replace the cowl

Fst Blk

As much as it pains me, I need to remove the cowl assembly to shift it just 1/2 inch to the passenger side. I think Bruno warned me of this but it happened.

Anyhow, after the drama I had replacing the cowl and Craig having to come help me I don't want to miss a beat this time. What is the best way to brace everything to remove the complete cowl assembly.

3e0fcc90581c97e1b7fafad00d1af228.jpg

This is the tell tale and you can also see it in the fender alignment. The passenger is smashing the cowl and I have a huge gap on the driver. Not sure how things shifted but it did.

Post up some suggestions. I really don't want to pull the cowl but can't see a way around it.

Bill

Are you absolutely sure your doors are set properly and fenders properly bolts / aligned. Have you take any measurements from the center peak of the cowl to something like the windshield pillars. Are they consistent or off by the 1/2" also. Did you maintain any witness marks on the cowl when you restored it to insure you at least had it close?

Edit... Also if you can remove the doors, put a straight edge against upper hinge mount and extend the straightedge towards the cowl and them measure between the straight edge and the cowl. I'd imagine if your pillars are true, that these dimensions should be equal.

Doors were set to the quarters before the quarters were replaced. We had the fenders aligned during cowl replacement. Everything was right. Somewhere along the line something shifted. It was my fault because I failed to brace before removing the original cowl.

Trust me, I plan to measure tons before I plunge into this.

Sorry to see things go this way, Bill. You'll get past it. All part of the fun.

Not anywhere near the same level but as I work to get the interior in it is always one step forward two back it seems. Either I scratch something and need to repaint or some other thing pops up that causes me to regress as i re-work my plan. I have a REALLY bad habit of changing my mind mid-stream.

Sorry to hear man.:(

Put in the doors , align them with the quarters and rockers and then measure the distance between door and A-pillar.
Both sides should be equal.
Next the fenders goes on and measure the distance between them ,near the cowl and near the headlight buckets.
Should be equal as the hood would just fit between.
Is the opening square ?? should be.
Now you can align the cowl.

JMHO.

Good luck dude.;)

Thanks guys. Yeah, I will get it. Just sux to redo it. We learn from our mistakes. Anyhow, how would do suggest to brace things to pull the cowl back out?

Bill

Does the entire cowl assembly need to come out or can you just remove the spot welds (assuming that's how you applied the cap) and shift the cap over? No need to brace if you do that.

I wish I could just move the top cap. The wiper post will prevent it from moving over far enough.

Bill

I thought the wiper post went through both the lower and upper cowl...if so, the wiper post provides the majority of the alignment left to right.

IIRC you repaired the lower cowl and put on a new upper cowl. But you had the lower completely out of the car.
When we were putting it back in the first time, the car was trying to bend but I don't recall any side to side issues.
Also IIRC we didn't weld it then, you were going to prime or seal it maybe? anyway, I do remember we chopped holes in some junk fenders so we could weld on it with the fenders bolted on. I think we had tried the hood too, weird...IMG_0481.jpg IMG_0357.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure where all to brace it but like you mentioned, along the pinch welds/rockers and for sure the front clip. I'd even support the rear frame just to keep stress off the body. I don't know that the doors provide much support. Maybe build a brace across the door jams...
When re-installing I think I'd run a stringer across the roof to the center of the core support. Maybe you can mark that up with the hood and fenders on before you take the cowl out. See if anything moves once you cut back out.

Exactly what my plan is. Before it's welded up, I will be positive this time it is on the money. I think when me and my brother mocked things up we let it shift somehow.

I'm thinking a brace in the windshield channel, two from firewall to floor, and a diagonal brace from rocker in door area to vertical cowl pieces. Maybe overkill but I'm not going back through what we had to do lol.

Bill, if you haven't already send a PM out to Rusty (GPR). If anyone can guide you on how to keep the remaining bits of a car together for reassembly its that man.

Back