• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brake line fittings

Where I can I buy/order some brake line fittings that aren't copper? All the parts house near me have are copper fittings and it really clashes with the Stainless brake lines. I know, I'm too anal.

If I had a better camera (christmas hint) it would be easier to see

2_06_08_08_9_09_43.JPG

Can't say that I've seen steel fitting readily available. If we get you a camera will you take more pics of your girlfriend? LOL

They're brass, not copper, and the only other real option for that kind of fitting is aluminum, which I would be afraid of stripping out threads on. Inverted flare fittings need to be soft to seal properly, so you can't use hard metals like stainless.

Well it's not the line nut that's sealing, it's the flare, so I really don't see why it matters what a line nut is made out of.

JohnnyK,
What the heck are you doing over here in SF? Welcome bro. I think the orignal idea is to find fittings that matched the color of the lines. Also there must be a reason why most fittings are made of brass. Price only?

Yeah, my reasoning is simply aesthetics, having switched to stainless, it looks kinda outta place with two brass fittings. I think I found what I need at Classic tube

Brass is probably used as it is a softer metal, and allows the flare to seat better. Stainless is very hard and brittle.

I don't really see how it would make much of a deal, although I guess if tightened a lot the line nut would have more flex than a steel nut.. But I mean, usually the line just conforms with the female flare...?

cmayna: I was promised an invite.... But instead of waiting, just decided to come over.. haha

Any junction fitting like that has a seat in it, requiring that the fitting be brass. I suppose you could make a composite fitting with a brass seat, but it'd be expensive and not very cost-effective to produce.

The line nuts are a different matter and would be easy to produce in stainless.

Back