• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bud sign for kettle, think I made a good trade

Jonk67

Met up with a local 'Picker' friend today, this guy hits lots of garage sales, estate sales and knows lots of the local farmers. He picks up odd items or things he likes and lets me know if he's got something of interest to me when I run into him at the local coffee shop on weekends.

I bought a huge cast iron kettle or 'witches cauldron' (~3' across) on a hanging hoop (wagon wheel rim) a couple years ago from him and it cracked eventually but was still in one piece. I was advised that most welders won't fool with cast iron due to how long it takes to weld properly - preheat, weld, let cool, repeat. The wife got aggravated by it taking up space on our patio so I moved it behind my shed where it sat.

Saw him today and he offered trade the cauldron for an old Budweiser sign. I figured I'm not using the kettle and the sign might look good in the garage. My mom's brother worked at the main AB plant in St. Louis his whole career and retired from there.

I need to figure out a framing to hold it to the wall and mount some fluorescent lights behind it. Looks like half of a double sided sign but is in really good shape for being 45yrs. old (3/20/68 marking). It's 4'X4', as tall as the Mustang, which is raised on rims in the pic. I didn't think about how big 4'X4' is until I saw it, gotta make space on one of my walls where it won't get bumped into...

DSCN2742_zps8da8f424.jpg

DSCN2743_zps7e652dc1.jpg

Jon

"KBMWRS" said:
Is that a FORD logo on your trunk?

Yeah, I think if fell off the grill of a truck, picked it up and set it on the trunk, it's still got some sticky to it so it stayed put. Was going to figure out someplace to use it in the garage or on the tool box....

"Flysure1" said:
I have a "cauldron" full of flowers if you miss yours and want to trade.
Thanks but that's what I told the misses she could do with it when I was done but the crack ended that choice w/o paying to have it repaired. I really wanted it to haul out on the driveway and make a nice pot of hot coals to roast hot dogs/marshmellows over with the neighbors but one try at that 2yrs. ago for New Years ended that idea when the crack I didn't see opened back up...

I need to start a new thread for ideas on how to mount this thing and what kind/size/number of fluorescent bulbs to put behind it.
jon

Back