• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bullitt Rims - Rivets or no??

I just bought me a tool to help make sure the rims I'll be ordering will fit correctly. http://www.jegs.com/i/Percy%26%23039%3Bs/760/01201/10002/-1

760-01201.jpg

I can set the backspacing and width of the rim as well as the diameter and tire size. I know tire sizes vary but I'll at least know the parameters to check when buying the tires.

"buening" said:
How are the clearances with the 17x9 rims out back? Could you have went wider?

Another quarter inch of backspace would have been nice as I plan on lowering the rear but it looks like I'll be able to get it where I want it without it. My fender lips aren't rolled so I can always gain clearance that way. There is room on the inside to go a bit wider, IMO a 10" wheel is max if you plan on really sinking the tire into the wheelwell.

Any chance Chill can document the fit of those rims with some photos?
Do they actually fit under the lip in the back? Any issues anywhere?

I've got 17x10.5 in the back but I suspect I'll go with 17x9 in back and 17x8 in front.

I'd really like to see a photo looking straight up the rim/tire at the back lip.

Fantastic

These are the only other shots I have at the moment. I can take the pics you would like (Fantastic) this weekend. I threw in a couple of extras because I know everyone loves pics lol. I started this project back in 2006 and had to mothball it for a couple of years due to some personal B/S. It WILL be on the road the Spring of 2011.

2010-06-14184523.jpg

2010-06-14184201.jpg

2010-06-14183929.jpg

newwheels.jpg

049.jpg

054.jpg

043.jpg

"buening" said:
How are the clearances with the 17x9 rims out back? Could you have went wider?

I have 17x9 on the back of my 70 with 6" BS. No way I could have went wider on mine.

Simple is better. No bling = better. My male friends back in the day barely wore any jewelry at all... I can count on one hand back in 1970 how many of my male friends even wore an earring. Of course we were too stoned back then to remember much.

But I would say all the rivet and bling stuff probably look better on the later model rides like the new Stangs. Again I'm old. But I do appreciate subtle changes to the older Stangs that don't detract from being period correct or traditonal enough to fool you the first time you look at a ride.

The rivets add a bling affect that to me is a bit over the top and reminds me of diamond studded jewelry. Bullits have a good clean and classic look. The lines are cleaner and simpler without them and the rest of the car's lines agree.

Maybe I am the one-off here but those that have chosen the rivets are known to also go with pin striping, chain steering wheel, and under body lighting.

:lol Yeah I've decided to go without the rivets. Still gotta find time to get out in the garage and measure some things before I buy the rims. Time has been slim with a 2mo old girl

"buening" said:
:lol Yeah I've decided to go without the rivets. Still gotta find time to get out in the garage and measure some things before I buy the rims. Time has been slim with a 2mo old girl
Good choice. I went with rivets and chrome on mine and regret it now. Sometimes I feel like a ricer punk when I go to shows.
DSC00858.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be making a post hopefully in the next couple days regarding my results using the Percy's wheel fitment tool. Short answer is the 10.5" rims will fit, but quarter lips will need rolled and I'll need spacers.

Would it be dumb to buy the rims and tires now, or should I wait till winter is over?

I really like your center caps. They make those rims look old school. Would they fit a factory bullitt wheel? If so, where did you get them?

Back