• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bump-steer or shocks?

tarafied1

How can I tell if I need a bump steer kit or better shocks?
I have Grab-A-Track shocks now.
The car has ORP roller perches, the arning drop 600lbs springs and a 1" anti-sway bar. Export brace and welded in sub-frame connectors Also a 700lbs BBF!
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention, the car corners flat and feels pretty good in a curve... Until you hit a bump in the curve.
Goes over bumps in a straight line with no issues though

Im also running a " performance" alignment, Per ORP.
I have 5 leaf rear springs with no anti- sway bar in the back.
205/16 front tires and 275/17 rear.
Thanks.

Bump steer generally yields a camber to the tires that cannot be easily removed once the tires are unloaded on the road surface. If you don't have camber changes after driving, then you don't have bump steer.

How do I know if I do or do not have camber changes?
It just gets a little Squirmy and requires steering input if you hit a bump in a curve.

I thought bump-steer was a change in the toe-in as the wheel moves up and down?

Thats a good video but I don't have an alignment rack!
I will have to check around to see if a shop can check this for me.
On smooth on ramps I can get pretty aggressive but there is one curve near my house that has RR tracks half way through and the car does not like that!
I can drive my Taurus over them however, without the drama the Mustang has. Even my old Chebby truck doesnt get too upset on that curve.

You can check bump steer yourself by removing the coil springs and cycling the suspension using nothing more than a jack, tape measure and large rectangular piece of flat plywood (~24" x 36"). Chassis Engineering handbook shows how to do this.

Without removing the springs, you can also get creative and measure toe at ride height, then jack one side of your car up a few inches and measure toe every inch or so, then do the same for the other side.... just be sure your drag link is locked so that the only movement measured is through the tie-rods. When doing this, also measure toe changes relative to something fixed like the rocker panel. Also when jacking it up, jack near the rear of the rocker so that it forces more weight on the opposite corner to induce more compression and hopefully more droop on the same side. I haven't tied this myself, but it stands to reason it should work to at least show you if you have something grossly off.

Same here.
I have bought a bumpsteer kit from OPENTRACKERRACING , but I hate to take my springs out .
Call me lazy !?:confused:

If you have the right tool (spring compressor ) , it isn't that much work.
Something like this :
mercedes veerspanner.jpg

Not sure why, but pulling springs freaks me out. I've pulled engines, transmissions, rear ends, and such by myself, but for some reason I dread messing with front springs.

With the tool shown above , you will feel very secure.
Other type of spring compressor don't give me that secure feeling , so I do understand you when you say it freaks you out.

Not sure why, but pulling springs freaks me out. I've pulled engines, transmissions, rear ends, and such by myself, but for some reason I dread messing with front springs.
Springs he doesn't like pulling, but he does love pulling chains!

I have a cheap set of spring compressors, I too do not like messing with springs. Envision the spring letting go and killing me or doing some damage!

Back