• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bump-steer or shocks?

I like this one though...
index.php

I have 620 springs with a 1/2 coil removed. I do not even need to compress the coil to remove it. Life is good!

I have 620 springs with a 1/2 coil removed. I do not even need to compress the coil to remove it. Life is good!
I have 620 springs but no coils cut. If I do take them out, I may have to cut 1/2 a coil off too. How much do you think it lowered it?

Y'know another way to measure the bump steer without removing the springs is to use one of the bolt in spring compressors that mounts to the spring perch. The one DazeCars describes looks pretty stout ... If you trust your welding it might be a viable alternative to completely removing the springs.
http://dazecars.com/dazed/spring.html

If you have 1" lowered springs there is a very good chance you don't need a compressor to remove the springs. The trick is to remove the bolt holding the sway bar link to the lower control arm which frees up the arm, now just pull the arm down all the way and the spring will drop out. You're welcome.

I bought my springs from ORP and I think they are supposed to be lower than stock but the stance appears to be "normal". I may try disconnecting the anti-sway bar though. Thanks

Another common issue with these front ends under load and cornering is the strut rods. the strut rod bushing gives and allows the lower control arm to move in a direction its not supposed to. Early tires did not generate the grip of modern tires - so this solution worked fine in the 60's - but today is somewhat lacking. Cheap fixerzippies in to this issue in the 80's were poly bushings. Now - better solutions are to put a link there in place of the bushing and thus make a true SLA style setup.
Shawn at Street or Track has a nice setup - and there are others out there.

Other symptoms include darting over rough asphalt w/o steering input.

Check em out. Hope this helps!
jer
strutrod-8.jpg
strutrod-12.jpg
strutrod-11.jpg

that might just be my issue. Most of the time the car feels great but there is one curve with RR tracks that really upsets the car. I can drive my truck and Taurus over the same curve and they don't care but the Mustang does not like it!

Back