• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

burnout289's 67 coupe project

"tarafied1" said:
I take it a BRZ and FSR are some kind of car?
Just a question for ya on the brakes. If you already have disc brakes, why do you want the Mustang Steve conversion? Not bashing you just curious?
Keep up the progress!!!
No worries! Yes, the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S/Toyota GT86 are all basically the same car. It came out just last year, so we've got the first of a new breed. Subaru boxer 2.0L NA and RWD. Also just under 2800 lbs! It's a canyon carver's dream.

Regarding the brakes, they aren't in great shape. I would need a full rebuild at this point and I really have no plan/desire to keep something like that stock. Just seems to me for the money, I could go either way and I like the cheap ebay supply from Roush!

"burnout289" said:
"JRANGER" said:
Did you say BRZ????? I just bought the FR-S...lol
Wow I haven't been keeping up on this site I guess. Yeah, got a BRZ last June! Such a fun car. Ft86club.com has an OK forum. It seems more complete than some of the others but it's poorly run. Pretty good for info, though. And watching all the new parts that keep coming out for these things!

Let me know if you have any questions about the FR-S. I haven't gone mod-crazy (trying to put that money into the 'stang) but I've researched LOTS.

As for the Mustang, I grabbed some 1.5" spacers for the front but I may just cut/grind the studs to make it fit with the 1.125". We'll see.

I put together a shopping list for the local Pick Your Part since we just had a 50% off weekend and my buddy with a truck wasn't going to be available long enough to make it happen. Hopefully I can try again during the next holiday sale.

Haha yeah i haven't been looking into MOD on it as I have too many projects as is. I bought a Center Console Plaque and that's it. I'm on that forum as well of course...lol

I ran 1" spacers on my stang but I have Bullitt rims that have a gap where the studs fit right into. However the studs barely came out on the 1" spacers.

A list? Your Pick a part has old Mustangs? LUCKY!! Mine doesnt at all!!

"burnout289" said:
"tarafied1" said:
Just a question for ya on the brakes. If you already have disc brakes, why do you want the Mustang Steve conversion? Not bashing you just curious?
Keep up the progress!!!
No worries! Yes, the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S/Toyota GT86 are all basically the same car. It came out just last year, so we've got the first of a new breed. Subaru boxer 2.0L NA and RWD. Also just under 2800 lbs! It's a canyon carver's dream.

Regarding the brakes, they aren't in great shape. I would need a full rebuild at this point and I really have no plan/desire to keep something like that stock. Just seems to me for the money, I could go either way and I like the cheap ebay supply from Roush!
cool, I was just wondering because I am upgrading my 65 to factory disc brakes.

That's interesting about Toyota and Subaru...

"burnout289" said:
"tarafied1" said:
Keep up the progress!!!
A quick look shows they are rather pricey compared to say a new, quicker and faster 300 H.P. V6 mustang. Traitors! :whis :hide

"Horseplay" said:
"burnout289" said:
"tarafied1" said:
Keep up the progress!!!
A quick look shows they are rather pricey compared to say a new, quicker and faster 300 H.P. V6 mustang. Traitors! :whis :hide

I actually looked at the v6 mustang...Had an 05 GT before...I wanted the 2013 v6 Roush in Gotta Have it Green but the dealer was being a dick and trying to play games. I had financing in hand, pre-approved and everything and they kept playing the numbers game...So i played them back...They said we had a math problem and i agreed and walked away. They lost a sale on $1500. Plus better MPG, no body roll, etc on the FR-S...You havent watched the side by side comparison videos of the two :) Just saying...This thing is pretty quick and fun to drive...

"JRANGER" said:
Haha actually I have no idea if they have old Mustangs! My list is all 5.0-related stuff, so I'm looking for 87-92 Mustangs and 90-something-or-other Explorers, etc.

And as for not getting a V6 Mustang...well, I couldn't have one that wasn't a V8. And there is NO WAY it could be anywhere near as fun to drive as the BRZ. Basically, they're designed to be a driver's car. It's in the realm of MX-5, RX-7, S2000. Small, light and a blast to toss around.

Thing is, you can always add power to a BRZ/FR-S. You can't buy a Mustang and give it the BRZ/FR-S chassis for the price of a turbo kit!

Plus, look at how PURDY this thing is! I get more waves and people stopping me to ask questions in this car than anything else I've driven.

"JRANGER" said:
"Horseplay" said:
"burnout289" said:
"tarafied1" said:
Keep up the progress!!!

I actually looked at the v6 mustang...Had an 05 GT before...I wanted the 2013 v6 Roush in Gotta Have it Green but the dealer was being a dick and trying to play games. I had financing in hand, pre-approved and everything and they kept playing the numbers game...So i played them back...They said we had a math problem and i agreed and walked away. They lost a sale on $1500. Plus better MPG, no body roll, etc on the FR-S...You havent watched the side by side comparison videos of the two :) Just saying...This thing is pretty quick and fun to drive...
I was just giving you guys a hard time. If you can post a link of such a video it would be cool to watch.

You have to remember too that "quick" is a relative term. The guy in a new mustang GT I met this weekend found that out. All the money he spent on his "tune", DRs and exhaust must have felt like money wasted when he went up against my '14 and it's "driver mod".

"burnout289" said:
"JRANGER" said:
And as for not getting a V6 Mustang...well, I couldn't have one that wasn't a V8. And there is NO WAY it could be anywhere near as fun to drive as the BRZ. Basically, they're designed to be a driver's car. It's in the realm of MX-5, RX-7, S2000. Small, light and a blast to toss around.

Thing is, you can always add power to a BRZ/FR-S. You can't buy a Mustang and give it the BRZ/FR-S chassis for the price of a turbo kit!

Plus, look at how PURDY this thing is! I get more waves and people stopping me to ask questions in this car than anything else I've driven.
I was almost there with you as I was thisclose to buying a new V6 mustang and just couldn't pull the trigger and ended up getting the GT. Then you compared your new ride to those other cars. A Miata...really?! At least you have your classic!

"Horseplay" said:
I was almost there with you as I was thisclose to buying a new V6 mustang and just couldn't pull the trigger and ended up getting the GT. Then you compared your new ride to those other cars. A Miata...really?! At least you have your classic!
LOL. I even hesitated to type it out, and let's be clear...I don't think I could ever OWN a Miata (I'm 6'4"...I think it's physically impossible), but I can't deny their track capability. And everyone who drives one seems to love how connected they are to the road. But seriously, do they have to look so LAME?? At least the S2000 looks the part.

"Horseplay" said:
"burnout289" said:
"JRANGER" said:

BOOM!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hgleEOXA

"burnout289" said:
"JRANGER" said:
Haha actually I have no idea if they have old Mustangs! My list is all 5.0-related stuff, so I'm looking for 87-92 Mustangs and 90-something-or-other Explorers, etc.

Love your car...I wanted the blue but got this
attachment.php

"JRANGER" said:
"Horseplay" said:
"burnout289" said:
"JRANGER" said:

BOOM!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hgleEOXA
Thanks for searching out the video. Couldn't ask for a better comparison view.

Now some serious points. The mustang is faster straight line and at the track. And it costs less. It also sounds SO MUCH BETTER when getting on it while delivering a much broader power range and torque you can feel (per the driver in the vid).

I guess the last observation is a personal taste but what I consider a "driver's car" is obviously not what the reviewers in the video translate it to be. I equate it to requiring some skill with feet and hands and a sense for the marriage of car and road. Seems they think it is more about a car that anyone can pilot...which is exactly what it sounds like the manufacturer(s) were after. I think the comparison of the two is apples to oranges, honestly. Different cars. Not sure how I would feel though knowing the apple won both challenges if I was an orange. It's like the Honda driver challenging the motor head to "race 'em in the twisties" and having said muscle car spank the poor ricer.

I think what makes your new rides feel so good is what I call the "go-kart" effect. You sit low to the ground and the light weight makes the car feel somewhat more nimble, etc. Maybe I need to seek out a rental somewhere and take a drive myself. I just hope no one I know sees me in it!

"burnout289" said:
"Horseplay" said:
LOL. I even hesitated to type it out, and let's be clear...I don't think I could ever OWN a Miata (I'm 6'4"...I think it's physically impossible), but I can't deny their track capability. And everyone who drives one seems to love how connected they are to the road. But seriously, do they have to look so LAME?? At least the S2000 looks the part.

I knew a guy in TX that was 6'5" or 6' 6" and drove a Miata. Looked funny getting in it but once in fit rather well.

HAHA rice rice baby...

I know what you mean about the go-kart effect. But a lot of it is the fact that the car can change direction in a hurry! It comes with ZERO camber and no adjustability, but throw on a couple of camber bolts and some sticky tires and it gets crazy. And I don't agree that the car was made so anyone can drive it all-out. Anyone can drive it like a grandma, but I've taken a friend for a ride in her FR-S and she was giggling the whole time, but would never even try to drive it like I did.

Also, keep in mind that the BRZ "as tested" price vs. base is only a few trim items for about $2k. Performance is identical. Now the V6 Mustang...that is a much bigger price gap and the "as tested" price is higher than the BRZ Ltd. And I don't know if it was the case in that video above, but in a previous test that I saw pitting them against another vehicle (forget which), the Mustang had the track package that bumped the price up a bit and improved the suspension.

Yeah I'm a bit biased since my last two cars were Subarus as well, but I've had my Mustang much longer! And it's been the imports that I've driven that have made me want to focus more on the suspension in the Mustang. Before, I didn't give it a lot of thought, just "more powah!" That's why I love drooling over Street or Track products. But they're different beasts for different purposes.

Fun fact: the Subaru and the Scion/Toyota are NEARLY identical mechanically. The only real difference is the springs. The Subie is stiffer in front than the rear, whereas the others are stiffer in the rear so it's a bit easier to swing the tail around (in a fun, controlled way). The stock tires are crap for grip, but it's fun to make 'em squeal. I went for Michelin Pilot Super Sports and WOW talk about some gription! (yes that's a word...I made it up)

Hehe it sounds like I'm bein all preachy and defensive, but I have enjoyed my Subies and am still a classic Mustang lover.

I apologize for detouring your build thread as has happened...but that is the Fix way!

I hear you about your new ride. I don't think of myself as an old guy but in reality I guess I am at this point. I just have never gotten (or will) the import love. Growing up with nothing but muscle cars and V8s will do that to a guy. Get back to your build for you. I'll go back to the street and pick on all those weed whacker sounding little pests that keep lining up at the lights. :pbj

Derail away! Lol. This is the most activity my thread has seen since I started it. Also, it's part of why I didn't do this on VMF...too serious over there.

I know what you mean about muscle car love, but back in '03 I picked up an Integra to use as a beater and somehow I started getting hooked on going around corners. Then I moved up to a WRX and had both power AND handling. Went from that to an STi and loved the 300hp/290tq but it was so heavy I missed the agility of the lighter WRX. Now this car...it isn't awake below 5k RPMs but I am now hooked on corners.

Can't wait to get my 'Stang back on the road and hugging turns. I'm anxious for the day that I can take it up to Palomar Mountain and see how it keeps up with my friends' Subarus.

"Horseplay" said:
You need new friends
I just need more car friends in general! I found a local group of Subie guys and they're great, but not really that close and nobody else I know is really into cars. I mean, they like 'em, they just don't do anything with 'em. Know any of the classic guys in the San Diego area?

Back