• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

C4 Green Dot Issues

LNimoy

Good morning,
Three weeks ago, I took my 66, 289 4v, out and had some issues with the trans shifting. It usually shifted nice and soft at 15 mph into second, and then softly again into third at 30 mph or so. This time it wouldn't shift into 2nd until 30 mph, and shifted hard, and I didn't think it ever shifted into 3rd. I ordered a new vacuum modulator and installed it last week. Same problem existed. I went to adjust the module and found that the adjustment screw had almost backed out completely. I can easily spin it in and out, checked the old modulator, and the screw seems to have a bit of tension on it when adjusting it. Ordered another modulator which arrived this week. I'll be installing it today.
I spent a few hours searching here and the other site looking for similar issues. After lots of reading, I did the following yesterday. Everything done at operating temp.
Adjusted the carb with a vacuum gauge to get the best vacuum reading. Advanced the timing to 10 degrees, retuned the carb. I have increased the vacuum reading from 15 to 16.5.
I checked the vacuum at the manifold and down at the modulator and it's 16.5 at both places. I replaced the rubber hose at the modulator.
The trans fluid is full and cherry red. The tranny was completely rebuilt 22 years ago when I restored the car. I have about 12,000 miles on it since. It does sit for months at a time during the winter.
The modulator did not have any fluid running through it and when I push on the pin, I feel the spring pushing back.
I purchased and installed a tach to see if I could tell if it was shifting into 3rd. I brought it up to 65 mph. I could see the rpms drop on the 1-2 shift, but it never dropped down again so I assume there is no 2-3 shift. I was doing 60 mph at 2600 rpms. Floored it and brought it up to 4500 rpms and still no shift.
I checked the vacuum at 1000 rpms, 18.5, at 2000, 3000, and 4000 rpms it was at 21. If I go to WOT and let off, it goes off the scale,25, down to 0, and then settles back in at 16.5.
Does this sound right? Can my throttle valve be sticking?
I'll be putting in some lube guard and a new modulator this afternoon. Just asking here what I may be missing if the 3rd modulator exhibits the same issues.
Thanks

Update. I installed the new modulator and have the same issue. Adjusted 3 times. Eventually 5 complete turns ccw. It may have dropped the 1-2 shift point to 28 mph or so. Any help on the next step would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Did this all happen after the car sat for a long time ?
IIRC..
The modular is for shifting down at a certain trottle opening. Mostly near WOT.
2600rpm at 60mph... isn't that right ? What rpm do you exspect at 60mph ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Did this all happen after the car sat for a long time ?
IIRC..
The modular is for shifting down at a certain trottle opening. Mostly near WOT.
2600rpm at 60mph... isn't that right ? What rpm do you exspect at 60mph ?

Bruno,
The car was fine earlier this year, It sat for a few weeks because of the rainy weather we had earlier this year, probably 2-3 weeks. It sits for 6 months every winter and has never had a problem in the 22 years that I've owned it.
It always shifted into 2nd around 15 mph and into 3rd around 35 on smooth starts. Always shifted softly. I only put the tach in to see if it was shifting into 3rd and I just wasn't noticing it.
I don't see any drop in rpms after it goes into 2nd. It'll steadily rise as I give it throttle and pulls like it is in 2nd gear.
As I understand it, the modulator controls upshifts according to the load on the engine and the governor controls downshifts based on throttle position via a kickdown cable from the gas pedal. If I'm doing 50 mph and floor it, it goes right up to 5000 rpm almost immediately but doesn't seem to be pulling as it should, like it never downshifted.
I don't know if 2600 rpm is normal at 60 mph because I never had a tach in it before. I do know that it sounds like it is roaring at 80mph (before I had the tach installed).
I don't want to bring it up that high in case I damage it.
I put in the Lube Guard because I read that it could help if any of the valves in the tranny were sticking.
BTW, I love the look of your car.
John

Is it possible that the shift lever came loose and you drive off in second gear ?
The trans can "stick" when it sits for awhile but should come "loose" when the trans fluid is warm and got everywhere in the trans.IMHO.
Normally the trans would warn you if something is wrong mechanically.
Oil doesn't smell burnt ?

Is it possible that the shift lever came loose and you drive off in second gear ?
The trans can "stick" when it sits for awhile but should come "loose" when the trans fluid is warm and got everywhere in the trans.IMHO.
Normally the trans would warn you if something is wrong mechanically.
Oil doesn't smell burnt ?

No, it's not in second. I can smoke the tires if I wanted to. Oil smells fine. I've been reading online all morning and I think that I may have a stuck governor valve.
I just may try the "rattling the governor" fix before dropping the pan.

Thanks

I am not a fan of " rattling the trans " but if doing , do it on a dirt road.

Back