1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cam swap has begun

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain/Mechanical' started by tarafied1, Feb 13, 2017.

1. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

I got home from Germany this weekend. Taking a few days vacation. I pulled the old cam out today.
    IMG_7441.jpg
    IMG_7444.JPG
    IMG_7445.JPG
    IMG_7446.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. B67FSTB

B67FSTB The NorCal dude from Belgium

You are a busy bee !!!
    Whats the plan ?

3. Fst Blk

Fst Blk Well-Known Member

Awesome dad. She is gonna be a beast when done. A completely new car.

4. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

He's putting in a cam from a Prius...yup...a completely different new car for sure!

6t6red likes this.
  5. Fst Blk

Don't you have to kids to chase off your lawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Hey! They're stealing my pink flamingos!

7. tarafied1

Well the car has been pretty mild. I wanted to wake it up a bit. I've only been running 13's in the quarter. I'm putting in a more aggressive cam. I'm going to break it in with the old valve springs which have seemed to gotten weaker since I first built the engine 18 years ago. It floats the valves at 5500 rpm and used to rev over 6K. Anyway, after the cam is broke in I will pull the engine and trans. I have aluminum heads, roller rockers, etc. I also have a TKO 600 5 speed to swap out the C6. The swap requires different motor mounts that move the engine back and lower. So I figured I'd pull the whole thing, swap motor mounts, heads and trans. That gives me room to put in the hydraulic clutch too. So it will indeed be a different car

8. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

PICS, PICS AND MORE PICS! Please

9. tarafied1

well there won't be much to see with the cam installed! But here are pics of parts yet to be installed... the heads
    IMG_4373.jpg IMG_4374.jpg IMG_4375.jpg

10. tarafied1

trans stuff
    IMG_4205.jpg IMG_4206.jpg IMG_4280.jpg IMG_4281.jpg IMG_4282.jpg

11. Fst Blk

Pics of that new transmission. So when do you plan to install the transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tarafied1

13. tarafied1

after the cam is broke in. hopefully in a month or so. I have to go to Australia in two weeks for two weeks.

14. B67FSTB

Nice stuff you have there !!!
    Seems working overseas does pay off !! ;)

15. tarafied1

lol, yeah. I am spending way more than the car is worth but it's going to be fun! I spent nearly $6K collecting all the parts for the trans swap. The trans being nearly half of that. The heads, ARP bolts, gaskets, cam & lifters, rockers, etc. is over $2K

16. B67FSTB

Craig......we all live once......so we can afford to be a little crazy when it comes to mustangs. don't we ? ;)

17. tarafied1

you are right! I have had this car 27 years now. Spent a lot of time and money. Most of the spending has been as I have gotten older. But it has served as a family teaching tool, a way to spend quality time with my family and friends and has become more than just a car.

RapidRabbit and Mach1 Driver like this.
  18. tarafied1

okay, I didn't get to work on the car at all yesterday. This afternoon/evening I got some time in. I cleaned up the timing chain cover (scrapping gaskets) and started putting it all back together. Tomorrow I put the radiator in and I can fire it up.
    IMG_7460.jpg IMG_7462.jpg IMG_7464.jpg IMG_7465.jpg

Grabber70Mach and Fst Blk like this.
  19. tarafied1

got her back together and running. I did the 30 minute break-in at 2000-2500 rpm. Playing with the timing now. I need to take it for a drive and see how it runs after i change the oil.

stangg, Fst Blk and Larry G like this.
  20. Larry G

Larry G Member

Damn Craig!!!
    You got the cam swapped in and back together pretty quick and it sounds nice.

RapidRabbit and tarafied1 like this.