• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Camber adjustment

Mark Hone

Hello all: I have a stock /66 coupe, 289, air, auto., p/s. The inner tread on both front tyres is wearing faster than the rest of the tread (- camber). Not a lot, but noticeable. The car tracks straight, no squealing around corners and both sides are identical. I am doing some front end work this winter and was wondering what an average adjustment out (more camber) would be on the upper c/a's. I know a front end alignment is in order, but how incremental are adjustments made (.010" at a time or more or less). When I put the suspension back in, I will add a little shim to both bolts on both sides (all equal) before I get to the alignment shop. Thanks in advance. Mark Hone

A shim pack has various sizes. A driveway alignment is more or less trial and error. Get it straight with measurements and head to the shop. I did my initial and was almost dead on when it went to the shop.

A front end alignment is actually pretty easy to do at home on these old cars. Midlife and I worked in his garage and did my last cars a couple times. I had the last one checked at a shop just for the heck of it and it was good.

Works better with a low cost tools and a second person. Around here, it is hard to find a shop that can/will/is smart enough to do one on an older car.

I think what you should shoot for is -.5* camber for the street. I have -2.75* on my 66, but it's mostly on the track or on the stands.

do you know from your last alignment what your camber is set at now? a bit of negative camber & too much toe will wear down your contact patch faster, also the shelby drop will help with the camber curve

Well the book (owners shop manual) says -1/4* to +1 1/4* and as I recall I had about -1/2*. I was thinking about putting in 0.010" extra (the same on all 4 bolts). As I said, the car tracks and drives great except for the inner tread on both tyres is wearing faster than the rest of the tread. After talking to a tyre alignment guy (admittedly he did not see the car, but I did show him a tyre ) he said that I should try 0.010" and maybe a little more. I didn't know if they used 0.010 or 0.15" or if they went 0.001" or 0.002" (they use 0.010" and 0.015" to start then they fine tune the thicknesses). Thanks for the insights. Mark

Back