1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Can we say Oopsie Poopers?

Discussion in 'Politics, Guns, and a can of Whoop Ass!' started by Midlife, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Can you believe that bridge collapse outside Miami, FL? As a Reliability Engineer who studies these type of events, I have found that these kinds of catastrophic failures are typically due to faulty modeling that leads to almost no safety factor for strength. This failure reminds me of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse, and the collapse of the walkway at the Hyatt Regency (KC, Missouri). I can't believe something this large and expensive of a project was not thoroughly vetted by the civil engineering community and the FIU Civil Engineering department, who was part of this project.

Damn...

2. rbohm

rbohm Active Member

someone was probably pushing the technology somewhere.

3. FordDude

FordDude Well-Known Dude Staff Member Moderator

It was breaking news here when it happened. Today it was reported that the two companies involved have both been fined for safety violations, 50 and 60k was the amount. A lot to me, but how much to a company that builds 25 million dollar bridges? Captain Obvious wants to know why traffic was running under it when they were doing stress testing.

fd

4. FordDude

5. Laurie S.

Laurie S. Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

6. gt289

gt289 Member

7. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

It used a technique called accelerated bridge construction. The completed bridge was to have a tower and cable stays to help support it. Pedestrians don't weigh all that much, and wouldn't add substantially to the load of the bridge. This thing reportedly weighed around 1 million pounds, so what genius would allow cars under the unsupported structure until it was complete? Was there supposed to be a wizard chanting Wingardium Leviosa to keep it upright?

8. FordDude

9. gt289

gt289 Member

That would be the one.....

10. Mach1Mark

Mach1Mark Ramrod extraordinaire Donator

At the very least there should have been some temporary support mid-span until the permanent Someone was pushing the schedule to keep the road open. The pre-stressed beams were likely not designed to me self-supporting. Im betting on several wrongful death lawsuits are pending.

11. FordDude

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ge-collapse-lawsuit-classes-resume/438179002/
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/more-lawsuits-filed-over-the-miami-bridge-collapse

You are so very correct Captain Obvious :p

fd

12. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

There is an interstate bridge in San Francisco and the major components are being manufactured in China. Next Chapter.