• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Can you?

RustyRed

I was just wondering...can you put 351W heads on a 289 / 302?

Thought I had read somewhere that you could but doesn't seem too logical to me....

So if I were going to build a 302 it would fly to use 351 heads simply by changing the bolts?

I only ask because I know where to pick up some 351's really cheap but I wasn't sure if they would work but also not certain if they would help my performance or not....

Reading through the lin I pasted, you will loose some compression but gain airflow. You would use 302 head gaskets and 351 intake and gaskets.

Thanks for the link.

One problem I see (maybe?) is they are talking about older 351 heads. The pair I know of for sale are off an '85 truck...not sure how that would affect things if at all....

Using 351W heads on a 289/302 motor is an old backyard $50 trick to increase performance. It won't give you a tremendous improvement, but for $50, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Better performance is my general plan but I am finding the vast majority of the cost to building an engine is in the heads. Basically I am trying to keep the cost down and I am not looking for a track car anyway....just a solid Saturday cruiser.

My options are to spend a ton of money on aluminum heads or find something else basically. I have read too many bad things about some of the cheaper aluminum heads such as procomp so not planning to go there.

Locally I know of a guy that has some 289 heads that are ported but he is lacking in the details department...he bought them already installed on an '88 Saleen and is going back to stock. Or there are the 351 heads that I could pick up really cheap.

Haven't had any luck finding any good used aluminum heads or GT40's.

The 351 heads flow 5-10% better than the earlier 289/302 heads. They also have bigger chambers, so you will lose compression, so the swap might just be a wash. Personally, I wouldn't do it. IMHO, it's worth it to save up and buy a nice set of heads. Like you said, heads will make the engine. You can find great deals on new and used heads all day long at www.corral.net. There is no question in my mind that you will be happier if you don't shortcut here. Good luck.

Word of warning, The 351 Windsor heads on an 85 are the same as a 302. Some time during the early 70's Ford quit making a unique 351 Windsor head and used the same casting. The small plug heads for the smog motors are all the same with huge chambers for low compression. They wouldn't be of any real benifit unless you simply wanted hardended seats and valves for unleaded fuel. The early casting 351 Windsor had bigger valves and ports (and as said combustion chambers). Another low buck trick that I have done was to use the early 289 heads with small chambers for higher compresion and have the heads ported and put in Chevy 2.02/1.94 valves (you need hardened push rods and guide plates with screw-in studs if you dont use the rail rockers). You could do this on the GT40 heads but sounds like they have already been reworked. They are supposed to be a good head for what you doing.

Back