• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Can't Get Axle Back in my 9"

joesgt281

Doing the MustangSteve Cobra brake conversion on the 67 and can't get my eff-ing drivers side axle back in. Gets about half the spline engaged and then hangs up just as the bearing is going in. The bearing is the right size and the retainer isn't hitting the seal or anything like that.
I've looked down the axle tube and everything looks normal.
The passenger side was kind of a bish to get in, but took a few smacks with a BFH.
The drivers side is an absolute no-go even after some BFH action.
I'm very leery about going too big on the hammer.
Shouldn't it go in without all this extra effort?
Any ideas?

:conf :hmm I'm unfamiliar with Mustang Steve's setup. I have to ask obvious question cause that's all I know to ask, if I were there, I'm sure I'd have no problem getting it installed! :doh :rofl! My axle housings were really rusty and my axle's like to have never come out! I do have a slide hammer. I took my dremmel and cleaned the axle housing like it was brand new, then took emery cloth and further cleaned it. A little WD-40, and it went in with effort, but was perfect. Maybe the housing for the bearing is just really built up? Again, I'm not an expert mechanic, I'm just an experienced noobie!
Can you post photos of your new setup?
dne'
IMG_7522-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dne, I will post pics in the near future.
I did like you did and thoroughly cleaned the bearing area and I'm just sure that I don't have a problem at that point.
It's been suggested to me that there's possibly two internal splines that the axle has to mate to and that I've "made" the first one, but not the second one.
I'll try and work that angle this evening.

I don't think that there are two splines in the rear. I have had my 9" apart and had no real issue going back together. Is it a limited slip or Detroit locker? It sounds sounds like something isn't right in the pumpkin...

is this it?

I went to the site to look at the product. Is this the backing plate? This must a really neat looking setup! Now, the bearing does go through this braket easily? I ran out of thoughts/ideas for you! :cry
I just can't imagine the splines being notched for a one way insertion. you know it's going to be stupid simple when you find out what it is!
rearbracketmustangsteve.jpg

Joe,

There are NO "notches" or "alignment splines" to deal with.

Pull the axle all of the way out and bring her up to the workbench. Carefully inspect each spline for any "burrs" or other
MINUTE damage. It won't take much of a ding on one of the splines for the axle to hang up. If all checks good, re-insert her into the housing and try "jockeying" the pinion with your foot while sliding the splines in and out until the bearing seats.

I've NEVER "hammered" an axle into the center section before and wouldn't recommend it.

Well thanks yall, I finally got it, no BFH required.
After finding a good exploded drawing of the traction lock, there are two internal splined pieces (drivers side only) that have to line up.
It took a specific combination to get it right.
The tranny was in neutral and I held the passenger side wheel from turning, and I turned the drivers side axle in reverse rotation till it went in.
Oh and i also had to stick my tongue out.

Re: is this it?

"Sportbikechick" said:
I went to the site to look at the product. Is this the backing plate? This must a really neat looking setup! Now, the bearing does go through this braket easily?
rearbracketmustangsteve.jpg

Yes, that's the rear bearing retainer plate, that replaces the thin stocker.
And the outer bracket holds the caliper.
The groove is where the bearing seats so you're looking at the inner drivers side.
I'll hopefully get this together this weekend and shoot some pics of front/rear.

Job well done!

So all 9" rear ends have that type of spline? Wow, it's a good thing you didn't resort to the BFH technique! :pbj Congratulations! That setup is so sweet! so, JOB WELL DONE!
dne'

Re: Job well done!

"Sportbikechick" said:
So all 9" rear ends have that type of spline? Wow, it's a good thing you didn't resort to the BFH technique! :pbj Congratulations! That setup is so sweet! so, JOB WELL DONE!
dne'

No, just the traction-loks do (both 8" and 9"). If you don't disturb the rear with the axles out, they'll slide right back in. If you disturb it, though, you run a high risk of mis-aligning the spider gear w/ the clutch pack. When you assemble the rear on the work bench, you use the axle to align them all before bolting everything down, so that you don't have to deal with it in the car.

Back