• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Captain America

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
Captain America is what a friend of ours dubbed it.

The story starts before I met my wife. amber's grandfather wanted to give her a car when she turned 16. He asked her what she wanted and she said either a 67 Camaro or a Mustang. He found a 67 coupe power steering car, no AC with an auto trans for $75 and dragged it home and started working on it. She picked a blood red and black interior.

Fast forward to when we met and first got married. We drove the car for a while and when the engine went, we put a new to us, used 289 in it. On the test drive the trans blew up. I was tired of working on it and we could not afford another trans, so we traded it in on a new truck for me which we could afford the payment. Sounds stupid looking back on it, but it was 30 years ago. Mustangs were everywhere.

So, I was feeling super bad for selling that car and started to talk to Amber about it. I found out she was really upset about selling her car and never told me. I asked her what she wanted in a Mustang and she told me she wanted a 4 spd car and she really wanted it to be black cherry in color.

So, I found her 67 in Point Loma SD. It had been many years since I went Mustang shopping that I missed many things I should have caught and brought home a rusty, 4 spd car with manual steering and 66 pony interior, that was painted with spray cans to resemble an American Flag. The PO did this the day after 9/11 with several too many beers in a friend's warehouse.

I took it down and had it painted and we put it together with new floors, some new sheet metal in the engine bay. then she decided she wanted some JME gauges, a 5 spd and AC. So I tracked down factory AC parts and tweeked the engine a bit and installed a T5.

She is happy with it, but time has taken it's toll and it needs to be redone. When the budget is better, we will be revisiting Captain America and this time it will get power steering and disc brakes along with a trakLok rear diff. I have been toying with putting a stroker in it too, but not sure the budget will be that good.

I will post some pics from start to finish later.

Mel

Back