• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Car keeps cranking

Hello all.

I have a 68 mustang with a 351c. It has all the original wiring in it and the original voltage regulator from the looks of it. The problem I'm having is that with everything hooked up under the hood if I turn the ignition to start the car it will just keep power going to the starter. It won't stop cranking when I let go of the key. I have a new key assembly with ignition switch in their. I have no idea why it is doing this but it would be great if someone can guide me in trying to figure out what is going on. To start the engine I have been putting the coil wire to the battery positive and running a wire from my starter to the starter solenoid on the fender. Anyone have any ideas how i can get the car to start with the key?

Thank you,

Jeremy

Smack the solenoid with a screwdriver handle and start the car with the key..... then replace the solenoid...

Make sure the solenoid is hooked up properly. You have a small connection on the solenoid labeled "S" and another small one labelled "I", If the wire for the S (start) is hooked to the I (ignition), or reversed, it will do what you are describing. The one for the "S" is red/blue and the "I" is brown IIRC.

Will you guys stop giving all of the correct answers before I even have a chance to answer? Jees... :rulez

Ok here is an update. I had the red-blue and brown wire backwards so I corrected that. I read two wiring diagram books and have a few questions.

1. I have a mini-tq starter that has a smaller wire coming off of it and a larger wirer. Is it safe to assume that the smaller wire is the power that goes to the right side of the starter solenoid and the larger wire would be a ground that needs to be grounded offer? I got it recently from jegs or summit.

2. In the wiring diagram it has a single wire that goes from the coil to the inside of the distributor and another wire that is red-green stripe that goes into what looks like a plug right at the firewall all by itself. I don't see this wire but have a open plug at the fire wall. Can anyone explain/ post pics of where the second wire goes? I had an ignitor II and i thought the red went to the positive side of the coil and the black to the negative side of the flame thrower II coil.

3. from the books it looks like on the back of the alternator you have a black-red stripe that goes to a post right below the dual post that has the black and orange wire. does anyone have a picture of the wiring on the back side of an alternator? I have a 351c and picked up an alternator at autozone.

Thank you,

1. I have a mini-tq starter that has a smaller wire coming off of it and a larger wirer. Is it safe to assume that the smaller wire is the power that goes to the right side of the starter solenoid and the larger wire would be a ground that needs to be grounded offer? I got it recently from jegs or summit.

I can't ever remember seeing ANY starter with a ground wire on it. Starters normally ground via their connection to the bellhousing.

Without any other information, I'd have to say that the LARGER wire.... 2/0 in size probably (similar to a normally sized starter cable) would connect to the aft side of the fender apron mounted OEM type starter solenoid. The SMALLER diameter wire is probably the trigger wire for the solenoid mounted on the mini-starter. If this is the case, you should be able to bypass the starter mounted solenoid by connecting the smaller diameter wire to the post on the starter that has the larger diameter wire.

Try this

TechStarterWiring.jpg

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tech-mini-starter/a/155/

Thank you all for your responses. I can definitely see how I have things hooked up incorrectly. Pretty and straight forward once I have some visuals/right information. Now I just need to figure out:

2. In the wiring diagram it has a single wire that goes from the coil to the inside of the distributor and another wire that is red-green stripe that goes into what looks like a plug right at the firewall all by itself. I don't see this wire but have a open plug at the fire wall. Can anyone explain/ post pics of where the second wire goes? I had an ignitor II and i thought the red went to the positive side of the coil and the black to the negative side of the flame thrower II coil.

3. from the books it looks like on the back of the alternator you have a black-red stripe that goes to a post right below the dual post that has the black and orange wire. does anyone have a picture of the wiring on the back side of an alternator? I have a 351c and picked up an alternator at autozone.

"68angrypony" said:
Thank you all for your responses. I can definitely see how I have things hooked up incorrectly. Pretty and straight forward once I have some visuals/right information. Now I just need to figure out:

2. In the wiring diagram it has a single wire that goes from the coil to the inside of the distributor and another wire that is red-green stripe that goes into what looks like a plug right at the firewall all by itself. I don't see this wire but have a open plug at the fire wall. Can anyone explain/ post pics of where the second wire goes? I had an ignitor II and i thought the red went to the positive side of the coil and the black to the negative side of the flame thrower II coil. The wire from the coil goes to a three prong plug, two male one female. One wire goes to the temp sending unit and the other the oil sending unit
image.php
image.php

http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/WIRING-FIREWALL-TO-ENGINE-GAUGE-FEED-1967-1968-SMALL-V8-WITH-TACHOMETER/4501

"68angrypony" said:

I was going to direct you to this thread, http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,3507.0.html, but I see the pictures arent there anymore. Maybe reading it will help you out, the harness will only go on one way.

You should have a harness like this
0004969.jpg

"Fast68back" said:
I was going to direct you to this thread, http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,3507.0.html, but I see the pictures arent there anymore. Maybe reading it will help you out, the harness will only go on one way.

You should have a harness like this
0004969.jpg

The wiring that goes to the alternator on my 68 coupe comes from the wiring that splits off from the starter switch on the passenger side fender. It has 2 wires that come out halfway between the starter solenoid on the fender and the end of the alternator wires. Then it has a little wire that comes off about 6 inches before you have the main to wires that are attached to solid piece that has a bigger and smaller hole. This piece that has the two wires in it slides on the back of the alternator that has a posts to match the sizing and spacing. Not sure if that helps or not.

This must be a fairly common problem. My problem turned out to be the ignition switch.

I learned a very valuable lesson with this fix, though, and that is that just because a part is new does NOT mean that it is good. It's too bad, but I have had more than one part that was straight out of the box and proved to be defective.

Back