• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Car Rental Review: PT Cruiser

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Ah yes...the infamous PT Cruiser that a certain member of StangFix cannot seem to speed up to or pass. I rented one at the Atlanta Airport and drove the beast down to Panama City. Upon leaving the airport and getting on the freeway, I noticed I could feel every little bump on the road through the steering wheel. At highway speeds, the wheel shook excessively. I noticed a growl from the front that was speed dependent (not rpm dependent). My guess is a bad wheel bearing.

Performance evaluation: What performance? I had to measure 0-60 times in minutes, not seconds. This car was a dog.

Comfort evaluation: What comfort? I could not find a comfortable seat position. The controls for the windows is on the dash.

Selection criteria: When I was dropped off at National, I had the choice of any Midsize on the lot. My first criteria was a satellite radio, as the radio stations are crap the entire drive. Two cars had satrads, but two other people snagged them as I got off the bus. My choices were a PT Cruiser, another PT Cruiser, and a Kia. Sigh.

I believe I could overtake and pass a PT Cruiser on an open track if I was riding a bicycle. If you want to buy or rent a total dog, may I recommend the PT?

PT cruiser....the car for the trailer park soccermom. :naug

I can't believe I see men driving that thing. There are cars that are chick cars and that's one of them.
Sorry to see you had to drive one. :vio

I had a Dodge Caliber rental on Wednesday, and it too was a total POS. I'm sure they are built on the same platform. It's no wonder Chrysler is where they are today.

"monkeystash" said:
I had a Dodge Caliber rental on Wednesday, and it too was a total POS. I'm sure they are built on the same platform. It's no wonder Chrysler is where they are today.

While on travel, I had a Dodge Charger, not a hemi version. It was quite comfortable with reasonable power. I could spin the rear tires any time from a stop. It was nice and big!

<Hanging my head in shame>

Heavy sigh.............

Thanks, no really, thanks so much for making my weekend :pick

&quot;Fast68back&quot; said:
So Mark, that was Mid you were trying to catch?

If I'd have known it was Mid driving that POS, I woulda stopped on the track to catch him :voodoo

&quot;Fast68back&quot; said:
So Mark, that was Mid you were trying to catch?

So THAT was the Mustang behind me the whole time. Jeez, I even pulled over to allow him to pass, but he was too skeered to do so!

You forgot to mention, there's not enough room in the PT cruiser to put luggage for 4. We rented one a couple years ago in the D.C. area. one of the kids had to hold one of the suitcases.

I couldn't find the window switch, so had to open the door to give the booth attendant the paper work.

Yup. They are total pieces of crap. I will say, though, that it wasn't as big a turd as the Ford Focus we rented in Vegas.

I hate PT's. They're essentially neon's (same chassis) with a different body. Working on the motors is a nightmare, and they're incredibly unsafe in an accident. I've heard several stories, including one of a couple I know, where people were killed in collisions.

My gf rented a Caliber for a week and I have to say I kinda like it. It got out of its own way and it's kinda nifty for an ugly car. The interior is kinda sparse, though, as is apparently the problem with a lot of chrysler vehicles.

Back