• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Carb Guru question. Updated with after action report.

I know this doesn't apply to Sluggo, but every OEM roller cam I've seen has used a steel gear dizzy, so I'm guessing if steel/steel was a problem in the past, it isn't anymore. I've noticed they make a polymer dizzy gear now too, but haven't seen any longevity reviews of them. Sluggo, I sure hope your cam gear is okay, but it isn't looking good, my friend.

I'l get a pic of it Monday. I'm pretty sure it's the standard gear for the series 37 unilite I'm running. It may be cast, Looked like it had some machine work done to it. To be honest I did not perform much of an autopsy. Just verified it was the dizzy gear and went home to get ready for the wedding I had to attend. Yes, I got tore up. :craz

The cam that came out was cast as was the one that went in. I did not think there would be an issue since it worked with the other cam.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the cam gear, but afraid there may be an engine removal and refresh including a retrofit to roller setup in my not so distant future.
:fbomb

OP, generally, the steel gear can be delineated by a fully machined body, noted in the picture I posted, whereas the cast gear shows some surfaces of noticeably cast quality (non-machined). The fact that the gear worked with the prior camshaft lends support to it being correctly applied. Perhaps another issue is at work here. Glad you had a good time at the wedding.

before the dizzy gear failed. WTF?

Define "failed".

Teeth "wiped out" type of failure?

If so, you understand that you'll need to tear the motor all of the way down, right? Bummer dude, sorry to hear of this latest misfortune. Why can't this type of crap happen during the winter months?

"camachinist" said:
OP, generally, the steel gear can be delineated by a fully machined body, noted in the picture I posted, whereas the cast gear shows some surfaces of noticeably cast quality (non-machined). The fact that the gear worked with the prior camshaft lends support to it being correctly applied. Perhaps another issue is at work here. Glad you had a good time at the wedding.

Indeed, more evil forces are at work here.

I peered down the dizzy hole this morning only to confirm what I already knew in my black heart. Camshaft gear wasted.
Tried to turn oil pump, no go.

Pulled pan and pump. Debris present.

I'm pulling the whole friggin' thing out and sending it off to a local Ford engine builder. I don't have the time or patience to :fbomb with it anymore. :rp

"daveSanborn" said:
Define "failed".

Teeth "wiped out" type of failure?

If so, you understand that you'll need to tear the motor all of the way down, right? Bummer dude, sorry to hear of this latest misfortune. Why can't this type of crap happen during the winter months?

Failed: Toofus exitus. (missing teeth)

"daveSanborn" said:
Well...... at least your sense of humor hasn't failed you. Sorry to hear about the motor though.

After all the nausea, vomiting, and destroyed ego, there ain't much else left.

Except for the unexpected expense and possible delay of leaving the dealership in two weeks, it will be good to know exactly what components are in the engine, who built it, and how much effort was really put in it.

:sad :cry

Man, that sucks. Add it to the very short list of things I've never seen before.

BTW, a little trick I used on the race car, since I run a HV pump which puts a lot of stress on the distributor gear, was drilling a .032" hole in the screw in gallery plug nearest the gear and kinda aiming it at the gear to squirt oil on it under pressure. I did extensive oil galley modifications and that was a give-back to all the restricting I did.

Hopefully, no substantial damage occurred to the expensive parts of the engine.... blah...

"camachinist" said:
:sad :cry

BTW, a little trick I used on the race car, since I run a HV pump which puts a lot of stress on the distributor gear, was drilling a .032" hole in the screw in gallery plug nearest the gear and kinda aiming it at the gear to squirt oil on it under pressure. I did extensive oil galley modifications and that was a give-back to all the restricting I did.

Did the same thing to my 289, so far....no problems!

Back