1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Carpet installation- burning holes

Discussion in 'General Mustang Discussion' started by Mach1 Driver, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

Have you ever had a screw catch in the carpet when installing the console or something and then rip out a row of pile loops? I use an ice pick and try to open the hole with limited results.
    I was watching Graveyard Carz the other night (I know- the owner is more obnoxious than Trump) but the head tech burned holes for the seats and seat belt bolts. They didn't show how it was done- just the result, which was a darkened ring around the holes.
    I would guess they used something like a soldering iron which melted the nylon/polyester pile. Anyone heard of this or provide any insight?

2. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

Done it many times. Works great with a soldering gun.

3. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

That makes sense- the guns typically have more watts than the irons: 325w vrs 20-40w
    Thanks Mark

4. Kooter

Kooter Member

When I installed my carpet I heated up an awl with a lighter until it was red hot and poked a hole or two. Rinse and repeat.

5. c6fastback

c6fastback Member

I had a screw pull out a carpet row many years ago . It happened very fast . Soldering iron. Works well

6. KBMWRS

KBMWRS What did the moron say today?

same here

7. 6t6red

6t6red Active Member

Whenever I need holes in my carpet I just have my wife glare at it. She can burn holes in anything with that glare.

8. KBMWRS

He'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip the waitress

9. 6t6red

6t6red Active Member

What?

10. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Please forgive Mikey...it's the meds he's on.

6t6red likes this.
  11. KBMWRS

wow....you made a joke. Just adding to it. Its rough when you have to explain 'em.

msell66 likes this.