1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Carry weapon

Discussion in 'Politics, Guns, and a can of Whoop Ass!' started by RustyRed, Aug 3, 2012.

1. RustyRed

RustyRed Active Member

I've been thinking of getting a smaller .380

Thinking it would be nice at times to have a backup weapon. There are also times that depending on what you're dressed in that it is difficult to carry my .40 or even my .357 snub nose without it being obvious you're carrying.

I was looking at these

http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-lcp-380 ... 37018.aspx

The only down side I can see is a lack of a safety.

Anybody shot one of these before or own one?

2. Gigantopithecus

Gigantopithecus Well-Known Member

Own one. It's my pocket carry when I can't carry my .45.
    [​IMG]

Get your hands on one with and without the mag extension. I found it easier to shoot with one. And its a close quarters gun, like <20 ft close. Don't expect great accuracy with it. The trigger is stupid heavy because of the lack of a manual safety, so expect your finger to get tired after a couple of mags at the range. It's not fun to shoot, but it's not designed to be. It's a pocket pistol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  3. RustyRed

RustyRed Active Member

That's basically what I want it for.

BTW, contrary to what some will tell you....the majority of CCW encounters are going to be close range. A thug is generally not going to announce from across a parking lot they are coming to mug you. More likely they are going to use some excuse to get close to you (can you help me jump my car, etc)

I used to have a .380 years ago. I liked that I could put it in my back pocket, pull out my shirt tale and go...no one would ever know you had it.

I got rid of my old one though because it was a cheap POS that jammed about every 3rd to 4th round.

4. 70 StangMan

70 StangMan Well-Known Member Donator

I have the same thing except a Taurus. Great little gun and only weighs a oz or 2 more BUT it does have a slide hold open after last round fired which sold me on it. They don't "kick" but they are "snappy" but for what they are designed for they are great. The lack of safety is not a problem as mentioned before with the heavy trigger. By the way I got mine from a dealer for $150.00 inc. tax
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4006

5. Gigantopithecus

Gigantopithecus Well-Known Member

I carry mine in a pocket holster. No one even knows it's there.

I haven't feed it hollow points yet, just ball ammo. But its eaten every brand I put through it.

6. 70 StangMan

70 StangMan Well-Known Member Donator

7. steveh326

steveh326 Member

I've got the S&W BG380, which is their version of the LCP, and it has a safety, although with the loooong DA trigger pull it's redundant. There's a good crop of pocket 380s out there nowadays, find the one that feels the best in your hand. For me it was the BG380, and so far I haven't had a single failure of any kind with it on any ammo I could find to feed it.

8. rollinsmoke65

rollinsmoke65 Member

I also have the Taurus TCP. Its a great little gun, and fits well into your pocket with a pocket holster. I don't care what anyone says, a .380 is going to hurt just as bad as a 9mm and is plenty for a carry gun.

9. RustyRed

RustyRed Active Member

I get a kick out of folks that say this or that gun lacks power. I never see them volunteer to take one in the chest at close range and let me know how it feels :shrug

Obviously we'd all prefer to have something like my .357 or .40 cal but there are times when dress or other situations just make it a fact of life that you carry a smaller gun or no gun at all.

Pardon the pun but I have been meaning to pull the trigger on getting a smaller .380 but I've been busy with other things and haven't had a chance to get to the store and do a side by side comparison to see which brand fits best when holding it, etc.