• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cedar Plank Salmon

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Cedar Plank Roasted Mediterranean Salmon

What you'll need:

* cedar plank
* sun dried tomatoes
* chopped kalamata olives
* 1 garlic clove
* fresh thyme
* fresh basil
* salt and pepper
* olive oil
* 1 big salmon fillet

#1-Start soaking cedar plank in water for 3-4 hours prior. You need to weigh the plank down under the water.

Recipe:

3 tablespoons finely chopped sun dried tomatoes (rehydrated with hot water or packed in oil)
2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 nice big fillet of Salmon
Fresh basil for garnish (optional)

FIRST Combine tomatoes, olives, garlic, oil, and thyme in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Spoon tomato mixture onto salmon fillet and press with back of spoon so that mixture adheres to fish. Note: I always double the above amounts of topping ingredients for you can never have too much.

NEXT Fire up BBQ. When ready remove cedar plank from water and put on BBQ smooth side down first. Cook plank until smooth side is darkened (5+ minutes). Turn over and then put fish on plank. Cover and cook until done by fork test.

**Always have a spray bottle filled with water on hand to put out any burning wood flare ups.

4_23_05_10_7_07_31_0.JPG

4_23_05_10_7_07_32_1.JPG

4_23_05_10_7_07_32_2.JPG

4_23_05_10_7_07_33_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good Craig.

I did cedar plank salmon one time and it was awesome. I just did a simple seasoning and cooked them. I am going to have to try this one and serve it with some crusty sour dough bread and some of my clam chowder.

Mel

That looks and sounds awesome.

Innocent question: where can you get a cedar plank that you can be sure does not have any kind of chemical stuff on it / in it? Food grade cedar?

food grade - indeed. I had picked up a 'set' of them at Costco at one time and I am sure most bbq places carry them.

Alton Brown buys them at Home Depot. Cheap and you can cut to size.

The one I used I got at Wal-Mart and it only was able to be used once.

I understand if you use thicker planks you can use them multiple times.

Cedar is not normally treated with any chemicals. It naturally repels bugs.

Make sure it is Cedar though. I have some Cedar logs I got for firewood and thought about making some planks for cooking.

Mel

"pprince" said:
That looks and sounds awesome.

Innocent question: where can you get a cedar plank that you can be sure does not have any kind of chemical stuff on it / in it? Food grade cedar?

Most of your high end markets will carry food grade cedar, oak, maple, etc planks. The most popular brands are Fire and Flavor, Charbroil, etc.

I have company this weekend and will be doing this recipe again.

"cmayna" said:
Most of your high end markets will carry food grade cedar, oak, maple, etc planks. The most popular brands are Fire and Flavor, Charbroil, etc.

I have company this weekend and will be doing this recipe again.
How long does it take to cook?? Do you flip the Salmon ?? Ideal temp ??

I normally don't use a thermometer on the charcoal BBQ. On the gas grill, 320-375 for maybe 30 minutes. I just poke it with a fork to check how done. No, you do not turn the fish over.

You can never put too much topping on the fish. I normally add extra ingredients.

Finally when the fish is done, the skin is pretty well stuck to the plank, so I simply use a spatula and lift the meat away from the skin and place the fish onto a serving platter.

Keep in mind that the dark part of the meat that you normally do not eat is still on the underside of the fillet. I cut the fillet into serving sizes and carefully lift and slight turn to the side each piece so I can clean the dark meat out. All of this cleaning can be eliminated if you attempt to skin the fillet before you even put the ingredients on the fish during preparation.

Huh? Dark meat from Salmon? I've cooked whole (but gutted) salmon, leaving only bones, the head, and the tail. Never found any dark meat...

"AzPete" said:
Those dark meat salmon passed thru the gulf recently.....new breed.
I hear they slide down real smooth. (I was wondering about the dark meat as well)

I cooked it for 25 minutes on med/high heat. Took a fork and opened it to where I could see that it kind of flaked. Came out just right.

Back