• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Charging System Corrosion

Sacbill

Hard Swinger
I was sprucing the '67 up a bit over the weekend to take it out for a ride, checking fluid levels, etc., and I noticed an excessive amount of corrosive buildup on the holddown clamp (in a bare-metal area) and on the positive terminal and clamp screw.

The car hadn't been started in several weeks, and I had the negative terminal disconnected. I do this mostly for safety reasons, but I noticed there's some sort of slight drain on the battery, probably the result of the POs "interesting" wiring habits.

I was surprised that I'd find such buildup on these surfaces. I haven't seen it before on the '68. I'm looking for ideas on what would cause this and how to prevent it. Thanks!

Bill

First, if the negative cable is off the battery, the car's wiring cannot drain the battery.

Secondly, my experience (unconfirmed by consulting many books and references) is that once corrosion begins on a terminal post, it is an impending sign of a battery about to fail.

Third: prevention: a smearing of axle bearing grease on the post and connector does wonders for preventing the white lead oxide corrosion from appearing.

I used to get a large amount of the white corrosion of the battery in my previous Dodge Ram. I had the local oil change place do a wax treatment on the post and leads. Never had a corrosion issue again.

I don't know for sure what it was that they put on there, but it was a spray on application. I think a Valvoline shop did it. May give places like that, around you, a call.

Craig should of chimed in on dis one:

18 of Petroleum Jelly’s Wondrous Uses

petroleum-jelly.jpg

12. Prevention of Car Battery Corrosion - A corrosion buildup will damage your car battery and sometimes even your automobile. Big surprises come in small packages, as a regular skincare product comes as the unusual solution. Apply petroleum jelly on the battery’s terminals and you won’t have to worry about car battery corrosion for quite a while.

Hey, all. I really appreciate the ideas on getting rid of the corrosion and I'm definitely going to put these suggestions into action. I was more curious as to the cause, though. Sounds from mid's comment that the battery might be getting ready to call it a day.

The white powdery stuff is lead sulfate which is toxic by inhalation, ingestion and skin contact. It is also corrosive to the eyes, skin and any metal parts of the automobile with which it may come in contact.

I have had that on several batteries in the past and once cleaned, they lasted for a good long time, and some have been dead soon after.....who knows.

No one said how to clean it up, so here's what I do. Go to your parts store and buy a battery brush. It's a wire bottle brush. Remove the battery connectors and run the brush through the connectors until you see fresh, clean metal. Take a toothbrush or similar, non-metallic brush, and scrub the battery posts. Some use water and baking soda mix...I don't. Scrub the crud off until you see nice, fresh metal. Put the connectors back on, and then liberally apply a grease/KYJelly stuff over the post and connector.

Permatex makes a spray cleaner and a protectant that work very well. Spray the cleaner on, let it fizzle and soak, rinse with water. Let it dry, or blow it dry with compressed air, spray protectant.

I think this may be what Jeremy is talking about. when dry it has kind of a waxy purple look to it.

Holds up well also.

"Sluggo" said:
Permatex makes a spray cleaner and a protectant that work very well. Spray the cleaner on, let it fizzle and soak, rinse with water. Let it dry, or blow it dry with compressed air, spray protectant.

I think this may be what Jeremy is talking about. when dry it has kind of a waxy purple look to it.

Holds up well also.

Dats exactly it!

Back