• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cleaning up vintage acrylic sign and mounting/lighting

Jonk67

As posted in my other thread:
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/inde ... 553.0.html

I picked up a 4'X4' vintage ('68) Budweiser acrylic? sign that is half of a double sided sign that I'm guessing was lit with fluorescent lights and outside for ?? years. It has staining from (acid?) rain and other elements. I'd like to clean it up a little and at least get some of the streaking off while adding some protectant/treatment to the acrylic to help it last and not get brittle. I'm on the fence about the yellowed patina vs. the original white it was apparently by the edges that were covered all those years. I have a feeling that if I clean it up too much the value will decrease by removing the patina and making it newer looking. I didn't pay a great amount for it so I'm not loosing but don't want to ruin it's value either. So far I've only washed it with mild soap/water.

You can see the staining here:
DSCN2747_zpsbb1e353b.jpg

DSCN2746_zpsfd68be01.jpg

Next I need to figure out how to build a frame to support it on the wall and figure out lighting it. Neighbor who works at Nissan and is a car guy suggested framing it with white framing boarder like is in the garage, then add a white backing board with strips of LED's facing inward from the edges inside to light it. I would like it to light evenly like a glow almost, no obvious light areas. My initial thought was fluorescent tubes.

DSCN2744_zps28f05802.jpg

Anyone have suggestions for cleaning and/or treatment products by brand? Ideas on mounting?
Jon

Leave the patina as is...looks great. A simple wood frame painted black or silver and hang it.

you know you have a buddy that fools around with that old stuff. you should give him a call later this afternoon as he might have some ideas on what you are wanting to do... :roll

Thanks Steve, I'll give you a holler when I'm back at the ponderosa from getting coffee. You know I'd bring it over but I'm afraid to move this thing to much and want to get it up on the wall to protect it from damage.
If you ever want to get the '69 out for a longer test drive...
Jon

it goes in the shop tomorrow morn to get the carb /timing worked on. hopefully, it will be roadworthy after that....

Back