• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

clearance issues with brake booster

Fst Blk

Trying to get my 351w with tall valve covers in. I had to take the booster out in order to get it in. Now there is no way to get the booster back in because the valve cover owns that real estate. I've got Ron Morris style 1 inch drop engine mounts. I'll get some pics of my situation tonight when I make it home.

This is the booster I have. It's pretty large.

07041383-CoreCharge_(1)-1028.jpg

Is there a smaller booster to use or what. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I want my wife to be able to drive it... I like that one. It is considerably smaller.

I think I'm missing something though. This is the same booster that was used with the big blocks...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't have room for a booster but I think I could with different valve covers. The FE motors had different shaped valve covers than the Winsdors and 385 BBF. They be like rounded off...

20131017_100154.jpg

Trying to get my 351w with tall valve covers in. I had to take the booster out in order to get it in. Now there is no way to get the booster back in because the valve cover owns that real estate. I've got Ron Morris style 1 inch drop engine mounts. I'll get some pics of my situation tonight when I make it home.

This is the booster I have. It's pretty large.

07041383-CoreCharge_(1)-1028.jpg

Is there a smaller booster to use or what. Am I missing something?
Bill
Check out my build thread, reply #328 with pics of my engine bay. You can see my MustangSteve vacuum booster. LOTS of clear space.

I just got off the phone with Steve. He suggested I make my current booster work.

Quick update. I got a new t5 crossmember and was able to fit the booster after pulling the engine forward. I have to remove the valve cover to get it in but not a big deal. Price you pay when you customize I suppose.

That booster looks like the stock '70 Bendix unit I have sitting in my garage. My son's '69 351W has the same booster from the factory with stock type chrome valve covers and there are no clearance issues. How tall are your valve covers? My '69 BB Corvette had factory chrome valve covers and they actually shaped the left side cover to fit around the booster.

It is a 69 booster. Issue was/is I want the engine to sit further back I guess. They are typical fabricated tall valve covers to clear roller rockers. They are a good 1" to 1.5" taller than the stock ones I have.

Back