• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Clutch Fork Opening Cover??

buening

Without sounding like I'm trying to tackle too many things at once, I was under the car last night tying down the hydraulic hose to the firewall and then stared at the huge clutch fork opening in the scattershield and transmission. This picture is at an angle:

231_21_06_10_5_03_56_3.JPG

I know that quite a few on here use aftermarket bellhousings or have converted to hydraulic, so does everyone try to fab up some sort of sheetmetal/rubber assembly to cover this hole? I know the original 4spd cars had a rubber boot that went over the fork, but the hole in my bellhousing isn't exactly square and small....it follows the round contours of the bellhousing. I've thought about taking a sheet of thin sheetmetal and bending some kind of cover for it, then get a piece of rubber to act as a grommet for these hoses. Then I wondered if anyone else even cares if this opening isn't covered? Dust from the clutch will get on the hydraulic throwout bearing regardless of if its covered, but I worry about road debris and water getting up onto the pressure plate and clutch. Thoughts???

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if they will fit considering I have an aftermarket Quicktime bellhousing. My guess is that its shaped differently.

I've found these but they are for a T5 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-98-Ford-Mustang-5-0-Clutch-Fork-Cover-3-8-Trim-4-6-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adaa64f53QQitemZ390215389011QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100

If this were an OEM T56 bellhousing, the cover would have been a super simple flat plate as can be seen by the fork hole in the picture below

138_0309_14z+ford_mustang+transmission_view.jpg

Feedback from the VMF seems to be that everyone leaves this opening alone and doesn't bother with a cover. I may leave it as is for now and possibly fab something up at a later date. Theres too much little crap thats delaying me getting the car back on the road.

Yeah, with your aftermarket bell you're probably going to have to fab up a cover plate. Although not a great concern, I'd keep it on my list of "things to do".

With aftermarket bellhousing there are no covers available. It is best to allow airflow inside to bellhousing to vent to get rid of some of the heat build from the clutch in performance applications.

I don't have a cover for my T56 and it came directly from Ford Racing. I haven't had any problems with it. It has actually stayed pretty clean in there.

"buening" said:
Hmm, that is a good point about venting heat Bruce. Thanks for the insight!
I agree with you 100% and I have noticed like 68EFUvert that it doesnt really get dirty or full of debris
I have a Lakewood Bellhousing on a Tremec, been ok for 2 years now.

Yeah, I have the same task on my "To-Do" list. Until I get around to fabricating some sort of cover plate, I just use some gaffer's tape to cover the hole. This tape is not cheap, but it has strong sticking power and it's easy to cut with your hands.

Here's a link to some Cloth-Backed Gaffer's Tape. However, I have seen it a some hardware stores, too.

I have been using a blowproof bell for ~3 years without a dust boot and have not noticed any difference.

"65fast" said:
I have been using a blowproof bell for ~3 years without a dust boot and have not noticed any difference.

How's that T56 conversion coming along? :skul

Ha, I knew that was coming!

Unfortunately grad school tuition has other plans for my money at the moment :roul

Heres what I did for my T5 conversion..... Now Bruce has me wondering if its a bad idea.
assembly004.jpg

assembly003.jpg

"RyanG85" said:
Heres what I did for my T5 conversion..... Now Bruce has me wondering if its a bad idea.

Nice clean job. I'd like to do something similar, but my scattershield is curved.
assembly003.jpg

That was exactly my situation Garner. The Quicktime scattershields are curved and would be a pain in the arse to make. I think I'll pass and just keep an eye on things down there every once in awhile.

Back