• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Convertible top mystery....help?

I have a problem with my new top that I cannot explain. The top is fine, tight, fits great but there is a serious issue- the entire assembly has somehow gotten two inches shorter while the top was off. I can't hook either side to the front, leaving a gap of two inches.
Has anyone seen this or heard of it? I've pushed and prodded everywhere, nothing seems to be "locked up".
Ideas, or sources for info? Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Terry

Sounds like you need to park it outside on a sunny, warm day and see if it will stretch. Only other thing is the material is to tight.....it may be tight and fit great but if it does not close, it is not fine.......

My top is tight as well but I can get it closed. Ii have a power top and push the top knob in with my toe as I pull one side with my hand then close the latch.

Like pete said park it out in the sun on a warm afternoon and see if that helps. I had a Jeep that did that in the winter time.

Thanks for the responses. Well, I tried a few more things and it's still two full inches short. I was told by a friend at work that it may be a hydraulic issue- vapor lock within the shock (it's a power top).
I'll try again in the morning. It's bizarre because it seems like the frame itself has gotten shorter.

Back