• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

cowl and firewall alignment???

Fst Blk

This is how I'm aligning everything. What do you guys think. It all looks right, but second guessing my thought process.

1338651087.jpg

1338651078.jpg

1338651069.jpg

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to know whether I'm right on this thing. I'd like to get it all screwed together so I can blow it back apart and prep for final installation.

Bill

It's kinda tough to say.

It looks approximate for sure.

I'd fit the hood fenders and doors before I locked it in. I know it sucks but it the only absolute.

Did you make your wiper holes or did it have them in the lower cowl already?

I've still got to make the drivers side, the pass. was there.

What has bummed me all day is that I have it lined up with the export brace and it measures out by 1/2 inch. It's sitting 1/2 inch closer to the pass. side. I'm not understanding that at all.

I really wish I had braced the window channel/a-pillar area before I started. I hung the drivers door on it to help make sure the pillar is correct. Damn PITA is all I can say. I'll keep plugging at it tweak by tweak until I get it back right.

Bill

And to beat it all off, I measure from the outside export holes on the upper cowl and it isn't even. It's about 1/4 to 3/8 off to the passenger, so I'm not sure what's up there.
Could someone measure the outer holes to upper cowl edge and see if that measurement is correct?

Bill

HELP ME guys. I'm frustrated and pissed and it may be all for nothing. I didn't do any proactive before cutting this thing out and am now kicking myself. After tweaking and tweaking it's still not measuring like it should. Can't get the hood on now, so I don't even know where I'm at. Man, this has whipped me all day.

Bill

What has been cut out and or replaced.

Looks like the firewall, both cowl sides, upper and lower cowl and possible the rear aprons.

The hole in the cowl side is a locating hole. Not sure it's too useful at this point.

Why won't the hood go on?

"Sluggo" said:
What has been cut out and or replaced. The rear aprons where replaced along with the shock towers and front aprons. This was done last year, while I replaced the drivers side frame rail. The firewall and cowl pieces where all in then and matched up fine.

Looks like the firewall, both cowl sides, upper and lower cowl and possible the rear aprons.

The hole in the cowl side is a locating hole. Not sure it's too useful at this point.
I've been using the export brace holes as my locating holes now. I used this export brace to help in my alignment of the new shock towers and frame rail. It was taken off when the cowl work began. I first started by bolting the upper and lower cowl together in the outside holes off the carl making sure they aligned perfect at those holes. I then turned the bolts upside down and bolted the firewall and the export brace in (on the sock towers also). I then laid the cowl assembly on the firewall and export brace and aligned the holes so that all 4 bolts are aligned and in place. It puts the front of the cowl high for now, but trying to verify side to side. Everything is aligned off the export brace, which should be the constant, however, measuring from various locations, it appears the cowl, firewall, and export are about 1/2 inch towards the passenger side. So, I thought that the a-pillars had shifted on me. I bolted the drivers door back on and put the dash in place. I still have the spot welds where I cut them visible and it laid in perfect on those holes on both sides, so I'm not sure where my problem is. I've worked on it for 14 hrs today and can't come up with anything.

Why won't the hood go on? http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/index.php/topic,16773.0.html

Not the best pic, but you can see how I've got the two assemblies aligned with the bolts.
1338700110.jpg

Bill

Using the export brace could be part of your handicap. I have never seen the holes on the upper cowl perfectly aligned perfectly with the lower cowl even on an unmolested car. If you look at them on an intact car you'll see a mismatch between the upper and lower cowls.

If it's an aftermarket export brace that may make matters worse. How many posts have you read about export braces not fitting too well?

Looking at the pic it looks like the lower cowl has no locating holes. Do the cowl sides have them? see attachment. How bout a pic of that same area on the passenger side?

If so, I would shit can the export brace for now, get the lower cowl out of the way, line up the locating holes in the upper cowl to the cowl side locating holes and see if it measures out better.

I don't recall seeing a response to the question about the holes for the wipers on the lower cowl. If they are not it needs be be high on the priority list.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    918.9 KB · Views: 60
if one of the towers is leaning in & the other possibly leaning out, the export could fit the towers, but will throw the center point at the cowl off laterally, which seems to be one of the problems. i would do as sluggo suggests & try tghose alignment holes in the cowl, then try to find someone with an uncut car apart that can provide some measurements & measuring points tto compare to.

IMO you can only align the cowl by putting the doors and fenders onto the car.
Mount the cowl lose into its place.
Mount the doors and align then. Next the fenders and align them to the doors.
Measure that the hood opening is square even mount the hood to be sure it fits.
You can install the hood bumpers so you can see if the hood aligns to the centerline of the car.
I know its alot of labor but it garantees you everything fit when putting the car together later on.
DO IT i should say , you won't regret !!

Thanks for the help guys. Anybody got a 67 blown apart that wants to get together on the phone with me?

Also, now that you mention aligning the fender, it got me thinking about while I was replacing the frame rail. I had a huge gap door to fender, but it was fine at the window and rocker...
Here's some pics I have from back then, I never got it straightened out from lack of help. I ended up using the export brace to align the drivers shock tower and framerail. The firewall/cowl area and passenger shock tower/frame rail were untouched at that time. I also used the engine crossmember as a guide. Anyhow, think that could be the problem considering what you've said.

1277866697.jpg

1277866696.jpg

1277866694.jpg

The door to qtr gap is in the ballpark.

Bill

That fender looks like it got the pole treatment about 12-15 inches from the door gap. The gap is wide in the middle (vertically) because of this. The fender is actually shorter in that area.

Looking at the upper body line it's quite noticeable that the line drops pretty drastically the last foot or so.

some of that door/fender gap may also be door alignment. looks like the fender matches up pretty good at the rocker. aren't old cars fun??

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
some of that door/fender gap may also be door alignment. looks like the fender matches up pretty good at the rocker. aren't old cars fun??

I think , when looking at the pics , the drivers door should , at the top front , should move outwards.
It looks that the upper front portion of the door leans to the A-pillar/windshield frame.
:confu :confu :confu

and looking at the last pic ...the door should move a tad to the front to align with the rocker panel.
(Hope that you understand that european talk )

It's making sense. I talked to a guy from a couple forums I'm on and he's got a 67 and 8 torn apart. We were able to get some measurements. It calmed me of sorts as I know now that my car is about a 1/4 out of square and I have an area to shoot for.

We, also, decided it best to abandon the export brace idea. What I'm now doing is trying to get everything were I "think" it should be in correlation to the other parts on the car and continue to build up from there, screwing or clecoing the car together. From there hang the fenders and hood and adjust from there seeing if everything lines up. Lots of work ahead.

Anybody got some extra fender clips they want to send this poor lost soul :roll

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
Aren't old cars fun??

Ask me again in a few months, yesterday and today the answer is f@#k NO! lol

Bill

I've been working on it and have tried to get things where I feel they should be. I've got the fender gap actually looking alot better
1338755406.jpg

But, I have to have it like this for it look right.
1338755397.jpg

The gap door to rocker is too small.
The door should be mounted a bit up.If the vent window hits the windshield frame ...remove it.
Take a pic of the entire length of the car, to have an overview.
Give feedback tomorrow because i hit the sack.

"B67FSTB" said:
The gap door to rocker is too small.
The door should be mounted a bit up.If the vent window hits the windshield frame ...remove it.
Take a pic of the entire length of the car, to have an overview.
Give feedback tomorrow because i hit the sack.

I'm done with it for the evening. Tired of looking at it lol. I've got to get some new hinges and fender clips, then drill my repop aprons because they weren't pre-cut :wtf

I've got plenty left to do before I'm satisfied and I will consult you guys before I lay the first weld.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill

Back