• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Crap that was close!!

I have a couple for a 68 mustang with non power drum if you want one. I also have one for a 74 Maverick with non power disk.

I have a couple for a 68 mustang with non power drum if you want one.

For now, I plan on just keeping drums all the way around so I guess the 68 one would work? What about the push rod? I think I read somewhere that it needs to be changed as well? I know I'll need to order some new lines and I saw some sets of pre-bent ones in my mustangs unlimited catalog.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I went to O'Reillys to see if they had something compatible to fit on my 66 and they pulled out this one they had in stock.

68 Mustang V8-302 5.0L
part # 10-1485
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/101485.oap?keyword=10-1485
I looked under the compatibilty but don't see '66 listed.

I assume this one would work for my 66? :shrug

Yes, it's not listed as compatible because you will have to fab lines - which you already know.

"apollard" said:
Yes, it's not listed as compatible because you will have to fab lines - which you already know.

Ok so I can get that MC and then buy the lines to convert a single to a dual MC.
Like this - http://www.cjponyparts.com/single-to-dual-bowl-master-cyl.-con-drum-brake-%2C-original-metal-1965-1966/p/MU14200O/

Or I guess I could just buy the lines and bend them myself but that seems like a pain in the butt.

Push rod on that 68 MC... is that going to work or what will I need to do to make it work??

For $19.95, I'd use that kit from CJ's rather than try to bend the lines myself. Generic lines come in 12" increments so you'll be doing more bending or cutting and flaring, not fun, to make the extra long line fit correctly.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Ok so I can get that MC and then buy the lines to convert a single to a dual MC.
Like this - http://www.cjponyparts.com/single-to-dual-bowl-master-cyl.-con-drum-brake-%2C-original-metal-1965-1966/p/MU14200O/

Or I guess I could just buy the lines and bend them myself but that seems like a pain in the butt.

Push rod on that 68 MC... is that going to work or what will I need to do to make it work??

Buy the kit.

You'll need to change the pushrod for the one on your MC now. Instructions at the bottom of this page-
http://www.cjponyparts.com/tech-dual-master-cylinder/a/147/

I don't see a distribution block in that kit... somebody had one that was adjustable for reasonable $$$ IIRC... just can't remember where I saw it... :p

You don't have to have a new distribution block. You have a brass distribution block that splits the fluid to the front wheels and a single line to the back axle. THe kit uses a plug to block off the distribution block port to the back axle. You then use the brass coupler in the kit to attach the rear brake line to the line supplied in the kit. Then attach the front line from the MC to the existing distribution block, and you are done.

The disadvantage here is that you will not have the brake warning light switch that is on the '67-up distribution blocks. How big a deal this is is up to you - frankly, those old style switches are unreliable[nb]detection systems on newer cars are much better and very reliable)[/nb] - they were the first generation designs for failure detection. I've seen brakes fail on one axle (or be bleed, which simulates the same thing) and the switch never lites the light. Even on some 2-3 year old switches. I personally wouldn't worry about it, but YMMV. If it is an issue for you, you can get blocks from various sources - but, you'll likely have to make your lines unless you buy a kit with a new distribution block.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the conversion kit from CJs. Figures... the master cylinder is on backorder. :rant

I don't feel like waiting, so I called CJs and canceled the MC off the order (it was going to take a few weeks before I got it), just got the lines and going to get the MC locally.

Good call. I buy stuff like MC's from local stores with a lifetime warranty. If the price isn't that different, get the new one instead of the rebuilt one. If you're going to have the car a long time, you'll likely be changing it out again.

Back