• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Curiosity Question: Dynacorn bodies

Dave makes sense, but I don't completely agree.

On my car, almost everything but the shell is new. And some of it is repop panels or parts from donor cars. There is almost nothing attached to the shell that came with the car originally. But, the VIN is still riveted to the dash and stamped on the aprons. My car only sorta resembles the car that came from Ford. I built it "from scratch" using a collection of reconditioned / modified parts from other cars or reproduction parts. It's almost as much a "kit car" as one you would build using a Dynacorn body as a beginning.

If you buy a Dynacorn body, and use it to replace the body of another car, but in the end little or nothing ends up coming from the original car, is it still OK to swap the VIN?

In the early days, the engine was the numbered part and the car was attached to it. Today, it seems that the body shell is what defines the car. Once you replace the shell, I think you crossed the line. At that point, you need to declare it a "new" car that is quite similar to an old one. The street rodding community is all to familiar with this dilemma and there are laws in place to deal with their case. They don't have to register their cars as "new" or abide by the regulations of new cars. Using a DC body is just like building a street rod. My car is a street rod, of sorts.

I gotta go with Dave on this. If not, anytime a car was damaged in the VIN mounting area, it would be automatically destroyed and not rebuilt. I have seen used dash boards replaced in modern cars thru insurance claims so the VIN had to be moved.......

"AzPete" said:
I gotta go with Dave on this. If not, anytime a car was damaged in the VIN mounting area, it would be automatically destroyed and not rebuilt.

Not true. The DMV will assign a new VIN to the vehicle in such cases. If a VIN needs to be removed legally, it needs to be done under the auspices of the DMV.

Responding to earlier comments:

Intent has nothing to do with it. It is illegal to remove a VIN, period. This means it's illegal to remove the VIN, and put it back on the same car. I'm not saying folks don't do it, or even that I wouldn't do it on my own car. What I'm saying is that it's illegal. Anybody doing this should be aware of it. Ignorance of the law is no more applicable than intent is.

If you run across a 65 Mustang that has the VINs on the aprons removed and installed. Can you tell if the "car" it's attached to is or isn't stolen?

John

If a VIN needs to be removed legally, it needs to be done under the auspices of the DMV.

Laws vary from state to state, but I know for a fact that this is true in my state as the DMV inspector has been in my shop on several occasions.

The next time he comes around I will definitely ask him about the Dynacorn replacement shells and how NC is handling them.

"daveSanborn" said:
The next time he comes around I will definitely ask him about the Dynacorn replacement shells and how NC is handling them.

When you speak to him, ask him about the full frame\aprons as well. My 66 has fairly porked front frame rails including around the base of the shock towers. The full Dynacorn pieces are certainly attractive, and I'd love to do the whole assy for strength as opposed to sectioning them in, but of course worry about the VIN issue. I suppose I could live with a CT issued VIN, but I'd love to keep the original VIN with the car.

If I do decide on the Dynacorn assemblies, I'm going to try to section out the entire area with the exception of the top of the apron where the VIN lives, and see if I can sneak the Dynacorn assembly underneath. I figure that by keeping the apron welded to the firewall, the VIN was never off the car. I'm going to speak with the CT DMV before I attempt it.

John

Sometimes asking to many questions hurts the overall project. Ask lightly with no names mentioned.....

"daveSanborn" said:
Laws vary from state to state, but I know for a fact that this is true in my state as the DMV inspector has been in my shop on several occasions.

VA too. Asked about this and was told that

a) I had to have a clear title showing that I was the owner of the original vehicle

b) I had to show that the original body was propery destroyed

c) I had to have a VA LEO inspect the "repaired" body to verify VIN and placement

"daveSanborn" said:
Technically, a "replacement body" is just a larger "repair panel".

From what I understand, that is how the Ford licensing was obtained... it's just a big "replacement" part.

VA too. Asked about this and was told that

a) I had to have a clear title showing that I was the owner of the original vehicle

b) I had to show that the original body was propery destroyed

c) I had to have a VA LEO inspect the "repaired" body to verify VIN and placement

I wanted to find out more about the VA process. I've called a couple of different times and seem to get different answers, or incomplete ones. I understand the paperwork requirement for a "reconstructed vehicle" and needing to schedule a VA LEO inspection. But what happens at the inspection? If all of the pics/info. checks out, can the LEO authorize you to use the original VIN and then you can stamp it on the new body in the original location later? Or are you required to put a VIN plate on it right there? Ideally I'd like to remove my original VIN from the inner fender, have the "new body" (w/ all of the old parts installed) inspected, and then weld in the original VIN plate. I had thought about welding the VIN plate in the new body in advance of the inspection, but don't know if that's permitted. Many thanks for any advice on this.

The show Fantomworks rebodied a '57 Chev and removed the section with VIN and welded in new body(he said didn't want to disturb rivets) . Claims checked with VA and NC DMV and was ok??? didn't comment about being supervised by LEO but didn't want a state issued VIN

Back