• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Custom Homemade Fiberglass Fan Shroud

For a while now I have noticed my 68 runs at a nice temp while moving but when i have to come to a stop for more than about 3 minutes in traffic, the temp starts getting uncomfortably high. Nearly overheated one day in stop and go traffic on the 101 and that was the last straw for me....it was time to get a shroud.

Instead of buying one and hacking it up trying to make it work, i decided to follow the lead of some guys on another forum who made their own. Today was day one which involved cutting all the form work from some 1/2" MDF, wrapping everything in saran wrap (for disassembly ease when finished) and polyester cloth. Gave it a liberal coat of resin and am going to let the surface harden overnight. Tomorrow i will apply a single layer of fiberglass cloth, then hopefully in a couple days it will be done.

Here are some pics from today.
UuQaS.jpg

phJlP.jpg

hlNlx.jpg

o06FV.jpg

LIZ5w.jpg

RySgJ.jpg

BUaho.jpg

And here is the thread where I got the idea:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380196&highlight=shroud

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to make one out of carbon fiber until I came across an aluminum pc that fit the radiator. Great idea and good thinking!

Make sure you post progress and final pics :thu

"silverblueBP" said:
I was going to make one out of carbon fiber until I came across an aluminum pc that fit the radiator. Great idea and good thinking!

Make sure you post progress and final pics :thu
to cool a motor it needs torun!

OP! nice work

I've done similar when making assemblies for boats, works quite well. Rub the form with grease before you start - it makes stripping the form out much easier.

This is my first time working with fiberglass and i have to admit, i rather enjoy the smell of resin. (I know I know its bad to smell). Anyways here is what was done today.
TA388.jpg

SWYi7.jpg

mVS5A.jpg

eK87y.jpg

Looks good, Jon. I'm much too lazy to do that though, lol. I picked up a Ford-tooling shroud that's nice and thick for my car.

Cut the shroud away from the form today. Then taped it to the radiator to see if it would work. Fits fine, there is just a small area near the bottom that needs to be trimmed because the fan is barely hitting it, no biggie. Going to take care of that tomorrow. Then apply a thin layer of bondo, sand and paint.

1jEla.jpg

BWHk8.jpg

Got it installed today. I opted to not paint it, i kinda liked the navy blue color. I just sanded all the edges and slapped her on. Then ran around the block a few times in a spirited manner and came home and let it idle in the garage for about 15 minutes. Temperature needle never moved above midpoint...so it was a huge success. No more anxiety sitting in traffic!

kWwU9.jpg

Half in Half Out
n4l3v.jpg

Looks grea!! Two questions.

Did you just use 1 layer of fiberglass cloth over the fleece?
Do you have a pic of the mounting points?

Back