• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Custom Motor Mount Plates $75 (including shipping)

phlegm

I am offering all the flat plates you need to build your own set of motor mounts, that Buening wrote the article for here on this website.
My Custom Motor Mount build thread
Last Spring I asked him for his drawings, he sent them, I had them rewritten into individual part files and had 5 sets made. The first set went to Buening for all his hard work and generosity of sharing the information. The other 4 sets, I always planned on making myself a set. Its been almost a year and that just hasn't happened due to life and hobby budget issues. So I am offering them up for sale here.

I am offering a complete set of flat plates. You must provide the round tubing (1.75" long x 1.75" OD x 1.375 ID) and a welder. I also do not paint or powder coat, and I don't plan on cleaning them up with a grinder. What you see is what you get, no surprises.

Here is a whole photobucket album of pictures of the mounts that I had fabricated.
Custom SBF Motor Mounts

I am offering
2 - 3/8" Motor Plates (with slotted holes)
2 - 3/8" flat plate for welding the tab and round tube to
2 - 3/8" triangle tabs
2 - 3/8" top flat shim plate (these were supposed to be 3/16", but there is room for the extra 3/16" so I didn't have them remade)
4 - 3/16" Frame side brackets (stock height, 1/2" drop, or 1" drop -- choose 1 -- if you are interested in more we can work something out)
The engine side brackets, each stack is 1 set

Frame side brackets, this picture includes 1 set of each height, with my offer, you chose 1 height, you get 4 of these brackets, not all 12.

This is what the 3/16" flat plate looks like fresh off the plasma, with a little slag on it still. And what it looks like with only a couple moments with a hand grinder.

The blowback or slag basically falls right off.
The top sides always look great

On another forum, there are some pictures of completed sets (not built by me)
1969stang.com -- Custom Motor Mount build
gemiscbodybody77.jpg

p4120001v.jpg

p4120002d.jpg

Also from that other thread, the user that created those nice looking red mounts posted this information about what bolts are required.
"Cruzzar" said:
All bolts are grade 8
4-3/8 x 3 1/2 NC
4-3/8 x 1 1/4 NC
2-1/2 x 3 1/2 NC

At this time I am not offering a group buy or anything like that, I'm selling what I already have made. If it works out or if there is interest, I'd be more than happy to work with people to arrange a group buy.

Thanks for looking.
-ron

Quite a few views, but no comments or interest. So tell me guys, what is wrong with the offer and what would you like to see?

The fixture welded?
I talked to the guys at the shop and one is willing to MIG weld the assemblies for $30/hr, I'll post some pics of his welds I'd use them, but you may not like them as much.

Bushings included?
I could do that, but the last ones I bought were $16/set of 4 bushings, enough to do 1 motor mount set. I haven't trimmed mine to fit yet, but I assume it's going to take some time to get it right (slow and steady).

Price too high?
Make me a counter offer.

Is it that I haven't posted completed pictures and installed them?
That most likely isn't going to happen any time soon, its majorly cold outside (lows in the -10°f range and highs below 10°f brrrr) and even though the shop could be heated, it would still be cold. If some brave sole is willing to build a set and install them as well as taking pictures along the way with reviews of how it went, I'll ship him/her a set.

That person must post their name here, and cannot be a 'new' member. I want somebody with history on this site and that will be ridiculed by his peers if he/she does not follow through.

I've read quite a few posts on this forum and others, I know there's interest. So lets hear it.. I got my big boy pants on, I can take it.

Sold one set, started building a set for myself. I grabbed a chunk of tubing from the scrap bin, cut it to 1.75" and deburred it. Then convinced one of my coworkers to weld it together for me with the tab.

IMG_7001_zps31f1c876.jpg

IMG_7002_zpsddb3d95c.jpg

IMG_7003_zpsa5aac565.jpg

After I cut off the round mushroom end so it is flat. I'm trying to decide if I should cut both bushings in the middle, or just one of them. Either way I plan on inserting a steel sleeve through the middle. So the bushings will be captured on both the inside and outside by steel.
IMG_7004_zpsd1df28c5.jpg

Today is a little slow at work, so while I was doing a general cleaning of a users PC, he trimmed a set of shackle bushings for me and also a piece of rod for the center of the bushings. FWIW, he used a bandsaw to cut off the mushroom ends, and then cleaned them up with a belt sander. And the bushings in the middle were both cut so that they are extended halfway into the housing. He really butchered the hell out of the ends inside the tubing. It looks like he put it in a vice and then squished it flat before cutting it straight. And when it resumed its normal shape it looks like it has a wave (think Pepsi cola can) which turns out OK because the two waves lock into each other, but its ugly as sin.

And then I grabbed some bolts from the shelves and put together myself one engine mount, I only had 1 set of shackle bushings with me, enough for one side. These are not the bolts that I'd recommend for actual installation, they are grade 2 I think. Before I would mount these in my own car I'd at least go to the hardware store and get grade 5, but most likely grade 8 as described in my first post. Or order up some button head stainless steel to spruce it up a little bit.

Remember that my bushing tab and bracket were MIG welded and I told the guy who welded it for me that I'd clean it up myself later.

so here is a set all welded up, bushing shaved/trimmed and this is using a set of the 1/2" drop brackets.

With a factory stock frame bracket and motor mount
IMG_7208_zps96dd6f4d.jpg

And then a couple views
IMG_7209_zps3286cd88.jpg

IMG_7211_zpsccca1924.jpg

IMG_7212_zps649237c7.jpg

IMG_7213_zps99898ad2.jpg

IMG_7214_zps85603bb2.jpg

yes, that's my truck, yes its dirty, no I won't be washing it today.

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday, I would have actually checked and taken pictures of what I have. Give me a day and I'll check, if I don't have any, I could make some more.
If you are pressed for time, I could sell you the set I saved for myself too, it has the tube portion already welded together.
I'm never in a rush so it isn't too much of an issue for me.

-ron

I' interested in that set. I'm hoping to get my engine dropped in really soon. LMK.

Bill

This must be one for the record books. Revival of a long dead thread not only gets a response but a positive one at that. nice

I'm always farting around with Mustangs and other Fords, currently neck deep in a Ford 170 i6 motor swap into a Case 1830 skidsteer, rebuilding the brakes on a 1963.5 Falcon convertible, and rebuilding the mechanical systems on a 1975 F250 Crew Cab, and these are in addition to the mustangs in my life; so I know how this game goes... One day you are reading a new forum and find something interesting from years back, you give it a shot and hope for the best.

If I expect people to be nice on the internet, I should return the favor whenever I can.

Actually I will be passing past my house on the way back from my oldest kid's Spring concert this afternoon. I'll gather up the parts that I have and get a few pictures and let you know what I have that I could part with.

Looks like in my spare parts, I have enough to build 2 complete sets with standard height frame side brackets. And after getting some more tubing, I'd be able to build a third set using 1" drop brackets.

My first offer for the welded ones are to Harley2308, but if I don't hear back from him by tomorrow, I am going to assume he is in less of a rush than FST BLK. Because the shipping will cost more and I'll have to track down a 'real' welder, I am asking $20 more for the fully welded ones.
IMG_2453_zpsfh4o6h7o.jpg

On another note, I have been making and collecting parts for a couple other projects, at the top right of this picture is a 1pc new crossmember for an early falcon ('60-63.5), designed by a guy on fordsix to install a T5/AOD without having to cut the factory floor support.

On the top left, is a '65-70 Mustang Crossmember to install a T5/AOD.
Random stuff on the left is a 4bbl blockoff plate (template for a center lift bracket) and above that are side plates for a Ford 300, they don't have an application, but one guy used them for the installation of a 300 into his 'Legend' race car.

Other random stuff that I've been working on.
IMG_2456_zpsj6recxxm.jpg

My own tubular strut rods
Making those clevis, even with a lathe and mill cost a LOT of time.
If I were being paid my hourly rate, it would have cost less to have them made from a local machine shop for $38.50/each.

And the other plates are shock tower and cowl plates for my own tubular export/monte carlo braces.

Hey Phlegm can the standard height frame mounts be modified for 1" drop. It really does matter that I ' have welded ones. I'll take the unwelded ones. Thanks let me know what to do.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Hey Harley

Since you are new and have made only a couple posts here, both in search of a part, how about you start a "new guy" thread and tell us a little about your car/project and join the family? We can never get enough pics and tales about other rides!

Well to start with I own 65 coupe, 289, c code father gave to me when I graduated high school. I've been working with father since kid on these cars. He has owned nearly 50 m ustangs 64 1/2 to 73. Currently has 16 cars in those years and probably that many in Fox body's and later. I'll get you guys some pics of my car and his two 66gt350s replicas. He also has a 66 coupe pro street, with a 351 stroked 427.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

You can pay me however you like: cash, check, PayPal. With cash or check, I don't ship until money is deposited in the bank.

With PayPal, I ship as soon as I am notified of payment.

If you contact me via pm I can get you contact information for whichever method works best for you.

Harley2308 opted for the non-welded ones and he also took the 1" drop brackets, so if FST BLK is interested in the welded ones, they are still available.

If you want different height(s), I can have more cut.
When I originally offered these 2 years ago, the interest was 'soft' so I let it fizzle and smolder.
The stuff I have now is just what was left over from then.

I still have the contacts with the plasma and can have more made easily, it just takes a couple days.

There is also a local laser shop that I've been wanting to try for a while, the cost is a little higher, but the quality should be better.

Thanks. I've got my buddy cutting a set with his plasma torch table from Buening cad files. Much appreciated.

No problem!

Our table at work wasn't smart enough to cut each piece individually from the Buening files; luckily I know a guy who dismantled the originals and made individual files for each piece.

Back from the dead again. Looks like I am in need of a set. If you still have the welded ones, I'll take them. Lmk.

Back