• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cutting radiator core support

Simple.... a hi-speed pneumatic mini-grinder with a cut-off wheel installed on it.

Do you have access to an air compressor? If so, go to AutoZone/Lowes and pickup one of their mini-grinders. You'll soon wonder how you ever survived without one. I haven't used my old trusty hacksaw since buying the grinder, it can be used to cut/trim almost anything.

Before you go and cut that rad. support though.... I just installed a massive radiator in my '66 and did so without cutting anything.

There are pictures of the installed radiator in my gallery.

3_07_09_08_6_05_11_4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. I bought a 90[sup]o[/sup] Ingersol-Rand mni-grinder from Lowes, and use 0.035" thick cutting wheels. It's one of my favorite tools.

The radiator support is spot-welded at the corners to the frame rails, so a spot-weld cutter is also called for.

How do I see your photo Gallery?

Towards the top of this page, you'll see a folder tab marked "Gallery". Open this folder and scroll down until you see "DaveSanborns66". Open that gallery and I believe the photos of the big new radiator are on page 3.

The radiator support is spot-welded at the corners to the frame rails, so a spot-weld cutter is also called for.

He's not removing his radiator support, only enlarging the opening, no spot weld cutter would be required for this task.

3_07_09_08_6_09_12_0.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, are those horns plastic?

I don't think so.... they're brand new though, that's why they look so clean.

Isnt the point of the larger radiator to allow more air to pass through the core?

Yes, and no. In addition to providing a larger cooling surface (by cutting the radiator support), the larger radiator also provides a greater coolant capacity, thus helping absorb heat and ultimately transfer it faster.

If you're experiencing an overheating problem, try installing w/o cutting the radiator support. If the engine is still running a little warmer than it should, then enlarge the radiator support.

Back