• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dah...the obvious....

AzPete

This 302 serpentine belt has had a slight squeal since I bought the car. I have not looked hard at the problem thinking it just needed a new belt. I now wonder how many times I can look at something before it reaches up and slaps me.... The PO used a normal rotation water pump with only the water pump and alt. to drive. (Alt. is top/passenger side) No big problem until I realize that the water pump pulley is smooth....designed for a reverse rotation. It is being driven by the grooved side of the belt. So, now it is off to the salvage yard to get a mid '80's pulley and do some measuring. Should swap out but you never know.

Gotta love 'em for sure but remember, we all are also PO's to someone.

Now for the update. Removed the pulley to use as sizing for replacement. Found that the fan only had 3 out of 4 bolts holding it on. They were tight but..... As Midlife knows, we have found a few bolts that were not tightened properly.

Went to the local salvage after some calls. Looked over several setups and found nothing to suit my needs. So, I started looking at what the original setup was. This engine came from an early to mid 80's F150 or Mustang. Both have the same belt setup. My Mustang has only an alt. as extras. It looks like I will have to add A/C and reverse the flow of the water pump to stop the belt squeal and get the belt on the pulley correct. Darn.........

FYI: Alt is on top/pass. side, smog originally sat below that. A/C goes top drivers side, power steering sat below that. One tension pulley just inside the alt. position.

To do that, I would have to also swap the water pump to reverse the direction of it now. Also, the A/C eliminator pulley does not cool the car very good....lol A/C will be installed eventually.

Now that no junk yards have what you want, can you get the right pulley from someone like NAPA or, better yet, RockAuto? :dance

Places I have called (including Rockauto) need a part number. I do not know of a factory part that is made without seeing it first. I think a water pump pulley from a 1983/4/0r 5 Lin. Town Car might be the one I want but must see first. I do know the one from an '86 and up is wrong. The '85 and lower cars were throttle body injected and they might have been different. I continue the search.

Already talked with them. I told them what I had and explained I needed the matching specs from the factory pulley but with groves. Was told to remove my crank pulley and water pump pulley and measure a certain way. No problem but the guy was not listening to me. The current pump (reverse flow from stock) still aligns perfect with the other stock pulleys. He seemed to think it couldn't and wants measurements. I understand being sure before selling but he would not even look up the stock smooth one to compare to the one he wants to sell me. His part number is 2004 at $90.00 plus ship.

The link provided is not the same set up I have. Here is mine, using just the water pump (which is now reversed), alt., and crank with the tensioner. My belt wraps around the outside of all three pulleys.
beltrouting.jpg

i have same setup as you got PO got the pulley from march to he used a crown vic water pump, ima switch to mustang 5.0 serpentine tho already found the a/c brackets got a a/c delete pulley too and got the ford racing pulleys for the wp alt and crank

Back