• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dash housing light DIFFUSER.

abrahamfh

So, I spent a half hour blasting and painting Fred's instrument gauge assembly.

It's so much fun making stuff actually look new, gives a sense of completion.

a6cd88bd-b0b5-d58b.jpg

I'm pretty sure the outer part is supposed to stay bare metal, so I hit it with some matte finish clear coat.

Please correct me if I am wrong so I can fix it now. LoL
a6cd88bd-b0c9-6aae.jpg

a6cd88bd-b12d-c8f7.jpg

I can't find anything that explains how to restore the bezel or the lens anywhere so I just might replace them completely.

a6cd88bd-b1ca-2f98.jpg

Finally, the real question. I noticed that NPD and other parts suppliers carry the dash housing light diffuser in blue yellow and red.

Fred had the blue diffuser with the ends melted to hold it place.

a6cd88bd-b24f-48dc.jpg

Why the option for three different colors?

crustycurmudgeon

I think the red and yellow are just non-stock options for people who want something different.

You can have your bezel reconditioned and rechromed, or you can just get a repro. I'd just get a repro lens. I don't think it'd be worthwhile to try to recondition the original. I got a repro bezel and lenses, but I'm holding onto my original bezel for the heck of it.

Frank

abrahamfh

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
I think the red and yellow are just non-stock options for people who want something different.

You can have your bezel reconditioned and rechromed, or you can just get a repro. I'd just get a repro lens. I don't think it'd be worthwhile to try to recondition the original. I got a repro bezel and lenses, but I'm holding onto my original bezel for the heck of it.

Frank

Is there a Ford/FomoCo stamp on the originals bezel?

Can't find one on the one Fred came with.

Any photographs of what it looks like with the blue, yellow, or red diffuser lights please?

Grimmy

Abe you have another option. Back in the 80's I owned a 67 fairlane and I think bimmers came out with a red gauge cluster and I thought COOL!!, so I took out the diffusers and used a red magic marker on the bulb itself. Best of all its reversable by changing bulbs or nail polish remover. You can try any color you wish.