1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Developed a Squeak

Discussion in 'General Mustang Discussion' started by Horseplay, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

So I have just about 600 miles logged on the car and everything has been really good. No issues. Went to a gathering this past weekend that had me having to drive across a fairly uneven grass field for parking. Also the same along a slanted path to get on a race track where the ground had at least a 10% pitch at times. Now I have an annoying front suspension squeak I have to track down. It's on the passenger side only.

Upper A-arm is a stock type set-up by John at OPR and it is packed with grease.
    Lower arm is also from OPR but has roller bearings.
    Roller perches as well
    New shocks
    Poly coil spring insulator (1/2")

I took the sway bar off and re-greased all the poly bushings.

I can "feel" the noise by placing my hand on the top shock mount and rocking the suspension. My guess is I must have had the suspension travel more than it does on a paved road and maybe the load weight shifted enough the coil spring moved a bit? The springs are shorter and much stiffer than stock, to the point I can pull them without using compressor if I disconnect the strut rod and allow the suspension to hang enough.

So looking for any other thoughts or experience along this line. Do I need to go with a rubber insulator maybe? Can I "grease" the poly piece? I'm thinking the squeak is the insulator rubbing on the body.

Any thoughts appreciated. Hope to tear into it later today.

2. B67FSTB

B67FSTB The NorCal dude from Belgium

Did you tighten the bolts of the suspension when the car "sits" on its suspension ? You should do it this way.

3. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

I did. I went back after probably 100 miles or so and re-torqued everything as well. I got 600 miles on it before this noise started so it's kind of strange. All new parts so not like anything has worn out.

4. kb3

kb3 Well-Known Member

Finally we found a job for {.}. I mean if he can't hear the exact location, no one could!

5. B67FSTB

B67FSTB The NorCal dude from Belgium

It could be a balljoint .

6. msell66

msell66 Burning Fossil Fuels Donator

Lube both sides of the insulator with white lithium.

Mark

7. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Could be this...
    mouse2.jpg

RapidRabbit likes this.
  8. msell66

msell66 Burning Fossil Fuels Donator

9. blu67

blu67 Well-Known Member

10. 70 StangMan

70 StangMan Well-Known Member Donator