• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dialed in Shag's fuel gauge accuracy

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Finally I got off my butt and decided that rainy today was the perfect day to get this issue resolved.

1. Emptied the tank and removed the sending unit.

2. Connected the sending unit to my make shift gas tank fixture and with the 1/4 tank plate in place, it was reading low so I tweaked the sending unit's arm (float) downward so the arm will read fuller. I connected the wires to Shag's gauge and it read a tad lower, but knowing nothing is like the real thing, I left it as is.

3. Installed the sending unit, filled the tank with 5 gallons of gas ( 1/4 of a 20 gallon tank). Turned the switch over to on and it read a tad below 1/4 tank. Decided to fire up the motor and the needle went up to exactly 1/4 tank. EUREKA!!!

4. Being excited, I wanted to know what it read if I added another 5 gallons to make it 1/2 tank. Went out and got another 5 gallons, filled up the car and again fired up the beast. Now at 1/2 tank it read just a tad above 1/2 tank. Most importantly for me is the accuracy of the 1/4 tank reading, so I am very happy.

Next is Red's gauge/tank inaccuracy. After that is KBMWRS's tank replacement and gauge tweak.

"cmayna" said:
Finally I got off my butt.

1. Emptied my bladder and removed the sending unit.

2. Connected the sending unit to my colostomy bag make shift gas tank fixture , it was reading low so I tweaked the sending unit's arm (float) downward so the arm will read fuller. I connected the wires to Shag's gauge and it read a tad lower, but knowing nothing is like the real thing, I left it as is.

3. Installed the sending unit, filled the tank with 5 gallons of gas ( 1/4 of a 20 gallon tank). Which I siphoned from Abe when his back was Turned the switch over to on and it read a tad below 1/4 tank. Decided to fire up another big one and the needle went up to exactly 1/4 tank. EUREKA!!!

4. Being excited, I called 3 A's for another 5 gallons to make it 1/2 tank. Went out and got another 5 gallons, filled up the car and again fired up the beast. Now at 1/2 tank it read just a tad above 1/2 tank. Most importantly for me is the accuracy of the 1/4 tank reading, so I am very happy. At my age doens't take much to make me happy.

Next is Red's inaccuracy. After that is KBMWRS's replacement and gauge tweak.

Back